Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find an aftermarket rear shock for my 06 SV 650 that I am racing this year. I don't want to spend the money on a brand new one at around $800 so I have been looking for a used one. I have seen several Penske or Ohlins for the 99-02 model, as well as plenty for other standard race bikes, but none for the 2nd gen SV. I know I have heard of people putting other model shocks on the 2nd gen SV so does anyone have a list of which ones will fit an 06? I don't mind relocating the battery tray or making some modifications if that is all it takes but it is tough to just know which ones will work.

Thanks, Dale.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You need a shock that can be set to a length of ~340-345mm and that has the right spring rate for you. Just guessing, but if you're a heavier guy then a ZX-6 shock might be good. If you're lighter, maybe one of the GSXR shocks.
The Penskes (and I assume the Ohlins) can be modified to have the right length, damping and spring, but by the time you buy the shock for a different bike and then have that done you've paid very close to what a new shock for your bike would have cost.

Bottom line is that racing ain't cheap, and there are some parts that you really do have to step up and pay for. A good shock is at the top of that list.
Zoran at www.twfracing.com will get you set up.

I have been trying to find an aftermarket rear shock for my 06 SV 650 that I am racing this year. I don't want to spend the money on a brand new one at around $800 so I have been looking for a used one. I have seen several Penske or Ohlins for the 99-02 model, as well as plenty for other standard race bikes, but none for the 2nd gen SV. I know I have heard of people putting other model shocks on the 2nd gen SV so does anyone have a list of which ones will fit an 06? I don't mind relocating the battery tray or making some modifications if that is all it takes but it is tough to just know which ones will work.

Thanks, Dale.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Consider the Penske Sport from Traxxion at $600 brand new. It will come sprung and valved for your weight and bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts