Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this old thread 05 sv650 fi error- code is c42.
I have the same problem as mentioned, and the only remedy seems to be either flick the ignition the emergency stop on/off until it goes away.
The issue just started out of nowhere when it was colder and I noticed it's a lot harder to turn the key unless i push it to one side whilst in the ignition. The bike displays CHEC in stead of FI if you flick the emergency stop button to STOP. I've checked the diagnostic code and it displays -c42.
The post mentions bypassing the resistor and i would need some advice how to do that to verify the issue so the question is how would I go about bypassing the resistor externally to verify if its the resistor? If it was the ignition switch contact points could I temporarily bypass that until i get new ignition as the issue is driving me insane.

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
... The bike displays CHEC in stead of FI if you flick the emergency stop button to STOP.
It is normal for "CHEC" to display when the Run/Stop switch is set to STOP. That just means the ECM is not getting power.

I found this old thread 05 sv650 fi error- code is c42.

The post mentions bypassing the resistor and i would need some advice how to do that to verify the issue so the question is how would I go about bypassing the resistor externally to verify if its the resistor? If it was the ignition switch contact points could I temporarily bypass that until i get new ignition
Before bypassing try measure the resistor inside the ignition switch to be sure that is the problem.
1. Unplug the ignition switch connector.
2. Measure resistance between Orange/Yellow and Orange ignition switch wires. Should see 100 ohms with the key On, infinite resistance with the key Off.
3. If this problem is intermittent, you may need to test several times to be sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention its a European version, would the colour coding be the same on the EU market one? UK to be exact. I'll give it a shot at the weekend as I need to get my hands on a multi-meter.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
The ignition switch wire colors should be the same, US vs UK. Here is a snip from an SV650 '07 UK wiring diagram.

Note: O/Y on the switch side connects to O/R on the harness side - I am not sure why they use different colors. You want to measure resistance on the switch side, O/Y to O, with the plug disconnected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I managed to borrow a multi-meter and got to measuring and the results are well interesting.
Most of the time the multi-meter was showing over limit so open circuit infinite resistance. But when played with it like you advised sometimes show around 420-430 ohms. So it seems to be consistent with the issue. My guess would be the circuit is open all the time and with that lucky key switch you properly close the circuit. So more of a contact problem rather than the resistor it self?
Update:
Before putting the bike back together I decided to remeasure for sanity as 430 is not a 100, and tried couple of different things. As opposed to just flick it to on i turned the key slowly and doing that I managed to figure out the issue, and get it to consistently read 100 ohms. The ignition is so worn out it allows the key to turn too far losing the contacts inside.
Thank you for the help, without it I would have no idea where to start. You deserve a Suzuki wizard status in my books.
Edit: Fixed formatting so it's more pleasant to read. Also added the update.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
...I decided to remeasure for sanity as 430 is not a 100, and tried couple of different things. As opposed to just flick it to on i turned the key slowly and doing that I managed to figure out the issue, and get it to consistently read 100 ohms. The ignition is so worn out it allows the key to turn too far losing the contacts inside.
Excellent work, Sowa. (y)

And thanks for the feedback; verifying the problem will certainly help folks with the same problem in the future. Given some SV650 are more than 20 years old now, this problem is likely to become more common.

You can replace the ignition switch to fix the problem or, here is how to bypass the internal 100 ohm resistor with an external one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts