Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing some reading today on how to check/adjust my valves on my 05......... I found a link to the 03 manual but when I looked it over I did not really find the procedure on how to do it. I found how to check the clearance but did not find the exact procedure to make the actual adjustment. When I did some poking around here I learned that if adjustment was necessary the cams had to come out and shims needed to be installed.

Over the winter I want to check the clearance and even though they probally will not need adjustment I really want to know how to do the job.

Is there a link somewhere that gives the procedure ? I really don't like sending my bike out and have people touch it. I like to do my own work. I only bring my bike to the dealer for oil changes just so they get to know me in case I need something someday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can get you the procedure tomarrow form the manual at work. But really I think the book calls for a valve adjustment at 12,000 miles. Normally shim under bucket vavles seldom come out of adjustment. I would say that if your vavles aren't "ticking" don't check. It's not hard to do, but more than likely you valve clearance will be dead on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.........I think the book that came with the bike actually said adjust valves at 20,000 miles. I have about 4k on the bike now, but I figure since the bike will be down over the winter and I can't ride it anyway it would not hurt to check the valves. It will help me get to know the bike. I have done a few mods and things already and the bike does not seem to be too hard to work on. If you can post the procedure that would be great, I'm sure everyone would love that. Don't understand why the 03 manual on this site does not give the procedure ? Is it in another book that the dealer has ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
OkiNuts05 said:
I can get you the procedure tomarrow form the manual at work.  But really I think the book calls for a valve adjustment at 12,000 miles.  Normally shim under bucket vavles seldom come out of adjustment.  I would say that if your vavles aren't "ticking" don't check.  It's not hard to do, but more than likely you valve clearance will be dead on.
Some pretty bad advice here....  ::)

Both times I have checked mine on my '03, I have needed adjustment (every 15,000mi).  The first time some were on the tight side.  This apparently is typical now....the metals in the tappets and cams are so hard that they don't wear from what I have read.  What does happen is the valve seats get worn a little and the clearance tightens.  This is VERY bad and can lead to burnt valves if the valve can't close all the way.

The sound of your valves is a pretty bad indicator of the state of adjustment.  Adjusting valves isn't something to keep the motor quiet....its to keep the motor alive.  Besides...your more likely to hear the cam chains slapping around a little on our bikes rather than valves ticking.

The adjustment proceedure is in the service manual...I suggest reading it thoroughly.  This isn't a proceedure to do without knowing what you are doing.  i wouldn't even attempt it withought having the service manual...or at least all related sections of it.  Not that it is that complicated....there is just some info in there such as cam timing proceedures that are very specific to our bikes.

Edited to add:

I just read another topic somewhere which indicates that the guy I quoted works at a dealership. I realy hope that he wouldn't say the same thing to a customer whose bike was in for service. Checking the valves only takes about an hour. To me...that is some cheap insurance. This is why I don't trust the maintainance of my bike to a dealer....not everyone cares like they should. Really pisses me off that a customer, not knowing anything about bikes, can't trust a "professional" to do the right thing for thier investment. :mad:

Sorry about the harshness...rant over...carry on....
Vee

·
Registered
212 Posts
ok when someone officially knows when valves are supposed to be adjusted please PM me. Oh and Dom if you could let me know when you do your valves how badly they needed it! thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem dom ! feel like I'm talking to myself........

Yes, I will let you know, but I'm not checking until 15k. I have about 3,500 now and winter is just about here.

I just hope that if I decide not to do the job myself I can trust the dealer.

Atleast if I check them myself I will know if they need it or not. I can always check I guess when it gets back.
But the reason I would bring it in would be to save time not waste my time.

Like I said above the checking procedure seems clear to me but I don't see info on removing the cams and timing them as well as installing shims. I read through all of chapter 2 and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling on doing the job.

I am a professional automotive mechanic not a bike mechanic so I want good information. Especially since this is my first time doing the job. I really would love to check out the 05 manual maybe it is better than the 03

·
Registered
228 Posts
;D I'm glad my bike has screw type valve adjustment. I may have to adjust my valves twice as often but it only takes 2 hrs at most ;D

·
Registered
476 Posts
dom05sv650 said:
Like I said above the checking procedure seems clear to me but I don't see info on removing the cams and timing them as well as installing shims. I read through all of chapter 2 and did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling on doing the job.
the procedure for removing cams and all that is in a different chapter. i don't remember which one off the top of my head. your best bet will be to download the index and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts