Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm wondering if maybe someone here has seen a case like this, I hit a piece of something on the highway (luckily didn't crash) and it hit my oil pan and oil cooler, I lost all my oil and noticed it leaked out of the small oil cooler hose, the problem is, the hose didn't break, but the bolt that tightens it to the oil pan kept spinning after I tried to set it tigth, it's not leaking any more, but I'm afraid that it migth be the oil pan that is stripped and not the bolt, I'm not sure if a Helicoil would be a good solution, since those bolts have little holes in them that allow the flow of the oil, rigth?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The bolts are hollow and the little holes are inside the hose fitting. You should be ok with a heli-coil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts are hollow and the little holes are inside the hose fitting. You should be ok with a heli-coil.
Thanks jeff762, I'll give it a try, it's my first time using a Helicoil, do I need to know the exact diameter of the bolt fitting or something in particular beforehand?

·
Registered
452 Posts
For helicoils just measure the width of the thread and that will determine the size of the helicoil insert to use.

Also, double- and triple-check the casing around where the bolt screws in to make sure there is no hairline crack from the impact. If there is, the crack would probably need welding ... I don't think I'd trust JB Weld or similar in an area like that which carries a high flow of oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For helicoils just measure the width of the thread and that will determine the size of the helicoil insert to use.

Also, double- and triple-check the casing around where the bolt screws in to make sure there is no hairline crack from the impact. If there is, the crack would probably need welding ... I don't think I'd trust JB Weld or similar in an area like that which carries a high flow of oil.
Thank you so much for your help, I'll drain I'll get the helicoil and take a deep look at her this weekend, hopefully there's no further damage. 🤞🏼

·
Registered
894 Posts
The only thing I can add is that helicoils are available in different lengths. If you use one that is too long, you'll have extra coils sticking out. It is possible to trim the "extra" coils off the coil before it's installed. It's also worth noting that the helicoil will get longer as you thread it into the hole. Breaking off the installation tang after the coil is installed can be a pain, but it has to be done.

The above will make sense once you have the coil in your hand. A Dremel tool with a cutoff disc works well to remove the extra coils (if necessary). A really good pair of diagonal cutting pliers will also work, but they need to be really sharp and really strong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not the same but when i helicoiled the oil drain i coated the tap with grease.
Only cutting in a little at a time then unscrewing and wiping chaff off stuck in the grease. Regreasing then repeating.

Better that than the chaff floating through the engine

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts