Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

All you need is 2 220 ohm resistors (although you could probably go 150 ohm and still be safe)

http://www.raminal.com/sv.wmv

Take the back end apart and pull out the stock brake light. Use a dremel cutting disc to split the red reflector from the unit. Cut the wires going to the top two LED's (which are connected by a small circuit board). Cut the trace going between the 2 LED's. Solder wires to the + and - on the board for each LED. Connect the wires from the turn signals to these LED's using the resistor on the + line to lower the voltage. **EDIT** Reseal the light with clear silicone. **EDIT**

It blinks fast but I personally like it, more visible. Plus emergency vehicles around here use fast blinkers too :)

I thought about using a trailer kit do make each entire side be the blinker and have it operate as a 2 light system but decided that rewiring all LED's and cutting all the traces would be too much work. I also didn't feel like paying $85 for the clear kit with blinkers integrated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very Cool.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I do have to say that is pretty good stuff. I would like to do that but keep the stalks...

·
Registered
571 Posts
that's pretty cool. i have heard people comment that our tail lights are really bright, so maybe you could even sacrifice the top two LED's to the turn signal cause to make them a little more visible. just an idea. but i do like it as it is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
thats pretty slick man, nice job

V

·
0 Posts
that is SO sick!..... i definitely plan on doing that..... i haven't been a big fan of dropping $85 for something I figured could be done like this. VERY VERY COOL!

J

·
0 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this mod this weekend.
I have some questions:

220 ohm resistor - but what wattage?

Do you have any pics of the bike apart without the seat on? Where did you cut the fender off? I haven't taken my seat off yet, but is it easy to cut? What did you use to cut it? How did you mount the license plate back onto the bike?

·
Registered
514 Posts
JCharette said:
I'm thinking about doing this mod this weekend.
I have some questions:

220 ohm resistor - but what wattage?

Do you have any pics of the bike apart without the seat on? Where did you cut the fender off? I haven't taken my seat off yet, but is it easy to cut? What did you use to cut it? How did you mount the license plate back onto the bike?
1/4w should be fine for this.

Take the entire fender off.

You will need to make some kind of a bracket for the plate.

Or mount it on the back side of the battery box, like this.

http://pmsfishy.zerobrains.com/plate.jpg

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't need to cut anything, if you don't want to. I unbolted the fender piece then just didn't put it back on. But now I either need to custom fabricate something to fill the small gap or cut the fender and put part of it back in. Once you get it out its really obvious where you'd cut it at. I didn't take any pictures while working on it though :(

My license plate is held on with a bent piece of metal. I screwed the metal to the plastic on the bike and used industrial double-sided foam tape to secure the plate. I had attached it using the factory bracket to the bent metal but it was too low and rubbed the tire.

J

·
0 Posts
Okay, perfect. I will work on making/getting a license plate bracket like yours sfg323. {PMS}fishy - I can't see any of the plate numbers in your pic. I'd like to keep it as visible as possible. Damn cops like my bike.

Last night I installed the Watsen Design flush mounts for my front turn signals. They came with 10W 3ohm resisitors, incase you wanted to slow it down. I didn't use them, and they are pretty fast. Do I have to use resistors on the back? Will it be too fast, or dmg the LED if I don't?

·
Registered
514 Posts
JCharette said:
Okay, perfect. I will work on making/getting a license plate bracket like yours sfg323. {PMS}fishy - I can't see any of the plate numbers in your pic. I'd like to keep it as visible as possible. Damn cops like my bike.

Last night I installed the Watsen Design flush mounts for my front turn signals. They came with 10W 3ohm resisitors, incase you wanted to slow it down. I didn't use them, and they are pretty fast. Do I have to use resistors on the back? Will it be too fast, or dmg the LED if I don't?
Thats how I like my plate.

If you don't use the resistor, you will get the fast blink. If you add it back in, you will get back to the normal speed. You will need it both front and rear, if you are using LEDs front and rear.

J

·
0 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
If you don't use the resistor, you will get the fast blink. If you add it back in, you will get back to the normal speed. You will need it both front and rear, if you are using LEDs front and rear.
So far, I don't mind the fast blink in the front.. it's very similar to the stock rear light speed - I'll post a vid shortly.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You absolutely must use a resistor for each of the rear LED's around 200 ohms. 150 or 220 ohm should work. 150 will make the LED brighter vs the 220. The reason you need this resistor is that the turn signal output is 12v which the LED's won't handle. The resistor drops the voltage down so you don't kill the LED. I used 220 on mine to be sure I wouldn't kill it but most likely a 150 would be ok. If you can't find a resistor of the exact amount you can put some together. They wire like speakers.

To calculate parallel resistance

Ohm1 x Ohm2 x Ohm3
-----------------------------
Ohm1 + Ohm2 + Ohm3

=

Total Resistance

To calculate series resistance just add the numbers.

J

·
0 Posts
sgf323 said:
You absolutely must use a resistor for each of the rear LED's around 200 ohms.  150 or 220 ohm should work.  150 will make the LED brighter vs the 220.  The reason you need this resistor is that the turn signal output is 12v which the LED's won't handle.  The resistor drops the voltage down so you don't kill the LED.   I used 220 on mine to be sure I wouldn't kill it but most likely a 150 would be ok.  If you can't find a resistor of the exact amount you can put some together.  They wire like speakers.

To calculate parallel resistance

Ohm1 x Ohm2 x Ohm3
-----------------------------
Ohm1 + Ohm2 + Ohm3

=

Total Resistance

To calculate series resistance just add the numbers.
Alright - that calculation doesn't mean much to me. I'll just go buy whatever resistor you think I'll need. I wasn't forced to use one on my flush mount LED's. You mean saying about 150-220 ohms, but I'm noticing the resistors I was given with my flush mounts were 10W 3ohm resistors. What wattage did you use?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts