Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody feel like helping out....joined up hoping someone would but yeah here are the details so far...

Background:
05 SV650s, had bike for 4 months everything worked awesome except for the occasional loose bolt here and there but i 've got those all snugged up with some blue lock-tite n proper torque specs

Just like the title says, low beams come on and stay on, flip the high beam switch and nothing but the blue dash indicator illuminates so i know the switch is working. I've swapped the lights out for brand-new ones just to rule that out. Still no go. I've checked the fuses and they are all good. Even pulled the battery out and charged it up all the way (didn't think that would fix anything but tried it anyway).

I picked up a multimeter after watching a few quick tutorials on testing continuity...im hoping some one with more experience and specific understanding of this bike can help me pin point where my problem is.

So far I've tested the connectors to the battery and the show good. I tried testing the lo beam fuse to the battery and it seems good, when testing the hi beam fuse to the battery i get nothing, from the little research i have done i think it may be because the hi-beam runs through a relay. From their i start to get lost (im not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination)

Tldr:
Hi beams don't work, battery is good, bulbs are good, fuses are good, switch is good (i get the blue hi-beam indicator in the dash). i have a multimeter, help me out and tell me where to stick it hahahaha.

Oh btw, this is a very recent development as the last time I used the hi-beam was last weekend sooo idk what happened???

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Set your multimeter to DC volts. Clip the black lead to battery negative. Touch the red lead to battery positive and note the voltage reading.

Turn the key ON. Now touch the red lead to each of the two test terminals on top of the low beam fuse. You should see close to battery voltage on both terminals. Now flip the high beam switch. Touch the red lead to the test terminals on top of the high beam fuse. Again, you should see close to battery voltage on both terminals. If you do not, the fuse is blown.

If you have power across the fuse, that means the path from battery, to main fuse, to ignition switch, to hi/lo switch and finally back to the fuses is good. Now, try touching the red lead to the headlight socket where the yellow wire attaches. You should have close to battery voltage there too. If you do not, you have a broken yellow wire after it splits and feeds the blue high beam light in the cluster.

EDIT:

Since your blue light comes on in the cluster, and your low beams work, you MUST have a broken yellow wire after it splits to go to the cluster. On the S model SV, there is a connector that basically takes the standard SV harness and makes it dual headlight. I would closely examine the wiring from that connector and the terminals inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the steps, i'll try this out and let you know what I find. 🤙

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After taking off the windshield to get a better look at the connections, i found the split connector golden chicken had described. I opened it up to take a look and found some corrosion on the terminals and a slight burn mark on the female end, no melted areas that I can see. Tommorow morning Im going to try to clean them up with some electrical cleaner to get rid of the corossion. Hopefully nothing is permanently damaged.

Btw, golden chicken... i had no idea that is how you are supposed to test fuses. Im already learning so much 😂. They all checked out fine. Continued down to the bulb connectors and you called it... yellow wire wasn't getting any juice.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Glad you found it! There are a number of ways to test things but that way is less invasive and 99% effective--except that one time I had a fuse that was cracked and every time I probed it I reconnected it.

Testing in the general manner I described is easy to follow and understand, and really, only requires a test light--a tool I highly recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im so psyched, i learned a ton in doing this.

Overall all the connections just needed a little cleaning and added some dielectric grease for good measure. After that, fired it up and hi-beams were back in action.

Big thanks to golden chicken 💪!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts