Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05 SV650 racebike, coolant in oil. Thoughts? Updated: need help with frost plugs!

Hello all,

Bought a SV650 racebike over the winter, and i am assuming because of the frigid temperatures over the winter in MN, I am left with this after doing a fluid change

In speaking with some SV guys, they seem to think that it is possibly just the frost plugs? I guess there are some inside the motor, thoughts on this?

Has anyone had this happen to them before, and what was the outcome?

Just looking for suggestions, and thoughts at this point. Im pretty bummed out seeing as this is my first season racing, and i run into this problem.

I am in the process of taking the motor out, and tearing it down. I guess we'll see what we come up with.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
704 Posts
First thing I was always told was to check the head gasket... maybe also the seals for the oil cooler and water pump? Just a guess. I also had an issue with a mouse in my airbox of my Hawk GT, it blocked the crankcase breather tube with Sunflower seeds and caused me mucho oil grief... oil puking into the airbox, pushing oil thru seals, etc. Once I got rid of the mouse and blockage it was good as new... lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah this bike was ridden last year, and put away. I was told it had 0 issues when it was put away. We had some pretty crazy below zero temps in MN this winter, I'm hoping its this frost plug issue i am being told about.

·
Registered
799 Posts
yes, plug popped out. take valve covers off and you will see 2 plugs in each head down between cams. one on each side of spark plug.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

Now the freeze plugs idea is a good one. Hopefully that is it. I think mine was a combination of things including valve check neglect but the outcome of mine ended up being a new engine. My headgasket was fine. They are metal on our bikes and I really can't see one going before you have other problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now the freeze plugs idea is a good one. Hopefully that is it. I think mine was a combination of things including valve check neglect but the outcome of mine ended up being a new engine. My headgasket was fine. They are metal on our bikes and I really can't see one going before you have other problems.
We had some pretty severe cold temperature drops over the winter. I would say close to 40 below some nights. I checked with the previous owner, and he said it had straight engine ice in it, which as far as i can tell is good till 30ish or so below zero. Man i hope its just the frost plugs.

In those pictures, where are / were the frost plugs located?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a side note, does anyone know where i can order the frost plugs for an 05 sv650? Also maybethe part number?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a side note, does anyone know where i can order the frost plugs for an 05 sv650? Also maybethe part number?
Every dealer that i call says that you cant replace the frost plugs, and that i need to buy a new head....grrr. These things are replaceable right? At least thats the idea that i have been getting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In reading some posts on the internet, people are saying that suzuki does not have a part # for the frost plugs? Is this part of some gasket kit?

·
Registered
799 Posts
napa auto parts.
or pm me if you need them and I will send you.
you can also reuse yours if you find them not damaged.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I would love to know where these things are so that I can go look at my head and see if mine are missing.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Wow, I suck at reading. Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
it also does not have to be missing, it can be pushed up just enough to leak, usually when it freezes one pops out and other is still in hole half a way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i took off the valve covers, to find what looks to be one frost plug, and another hole that is wide open on the other side, on each head. Im assuming that this is my problem (just want to verify with you guys). I would guess the hole is where to frost plug used to be?

Rear Head

Front Head

·
Registered
799 Posts
yep, you missing one on each head. if you don't find them up around cams you will have to fish them from bottom of motor. the one on front sometime ends behind flywheel.
take good look at cam chain for traces of damage, also on front one see if crank is missing any teeth where cam chain drives. in other words take engine covers off on both sides and carefully inspect everything. find plugs and see if they are in one piece and look for marks on them. any scratches, dents... means they got mangled with something and you need to find with what to make sure there is no damage to other parts.
have fun :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, well that's somewhat good news. Now i just need to hope for the best with the potential damage that was done with the plug in there. Guess we shall see.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Well I guess I know why I bent two valves and broke a third... The good news is I got a new 1st gen head with valves today so I'm back to having a pretty much complete spare engine :D

I'm glad you found the problem. If you haven't run the bike you are probably fine. Good luck and let me know if you need anything while in there. I'm by no means an expert but I've been through it already.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts