Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my SV recently and this is my first post on this forum. I've already gained alot of valuable information from this site and I want to thank you guys already. Let me try and describe the situation.

On light throttle the bike will kind of shudder/stutter/misfire/hesitate regardless of gear or speed. I adjusted the TPS to 1450 and put all 3 new vacuum caps on the throttle bodies and it still does the same thing. Sometimes I will also hear a pop in the intake box and sometimes it will backfire. I've got new spark plugs coming in the mail also.

I was reading up on the PAIR system and I do have a slip-on shorty exhaust. Do these things sound like something the PAIR system could be causing?

Info on the bike: 2005 SV650N 22k miles on body and 8k miles on the motor. (PO blew up the first motor)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the aTRE is still installed/functional but it still has the same symptoms in 1st gear and aTRE only effects 2-3 right? Another note, this problem happens in mainly lower gears ie 1-4 gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish someone had a solution. This is very aggravating especially mid-lean in a corner when it bogs/bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
New plugs?
Both throttle cables adjusted?
Throttle bodies synched?
Then my bet is on a vacuum/intake air leak,
particularly if it's rough in neutral at 1300-1600 rpm

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
The TRE's put the ECU into the 5th gear map....which has different ignition timing as well as fuel enrichment settings. The 1-3rd gear maps are different for a reason!:) Watching the Fuel-Bot shows that the injection is richer in them...likely to help prevent what you are experiencing. The TPS setting is critical here too. I'd think 1450 is too low, what does the Service Manual say about the settings? Doing it running like we pretty much all do is a *******ization of the factory method and might be causing some problems for you. Maybe try bumping it up a little (not too far!) and see if it helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New plugs?
Both throttle cables adjusted?
Throttle bodies synched?
Then my bet is on a vacuum/intake air leak,
particularly if it's rough in neutral at 1300-1600 rpm
1. New plugs will be installed
2. Throttle cables haven't been adjusted by me. How would it effect the symptoms I'm having?
3. TB's haven't been sync'd by me (had the bike for a week)
4. Replaced the 3 TB vacuum caps, I'll check all other air/intake connections tomorrow

Idle's like a dream. No missing or stuttering or anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The TRE's put the ECU into the 5th gear map....which has different ignition timing as well as fuel enrichment settings. The 1-3rd gear maps are different for a reason!:) Watching the Fuel-Bot shows that the injection is richer in them...likely to help prevent what you are experiencing. The TPS setting is critical here too. I'd think 1450 is too low, what does the Service Manual say about the settings? Doing it running like we pretty much all do is a *******ization of the factory method and might be causing some problems for you. Maybe try bumping it up a little (not too far!) and see if it helps.
Are you saying I should disable the TRE?

I read on here the TPS should be adjusted to 1450, what do you suggest? It was previously set to around 3000 RPM and still had the same symptoms.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Are you saying I should disable the TRE?

I read on here the TPS should be adjusted to 1450, what do you suggest? It was previously set to around 3000 RPM and still had the same symptoms.
Sure wouldn't hurt, for experimental purposes to disable the TRE and see if it changes the behavior. The Factory manual describes checking the voltages of the sensors...not engine rpm's. Someone clever came up with that and it DOES work well...but if you have the TPS set too low, it can cause running issues. Somewhere in the 1700-1800 range works fine IME. 3000 is too high...granted. Just another thing to maybe check when you are trying to sort a problem.

Oh...is the clutch switch working? Some people mistakenly wire them closed thinking 'I don't need the safety'. But, when it is connected it changes the fueling below about 3000 rpm. If it is shorted the engine thinks the clutch is pulled all the time. Not good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure wouldn't hurt, for experimental purposes to disable the TRE and see if it changes the behavior. The Factory manual describes checking the voltages of the sensors...not engine rpm's. Someone clever came up with that and it DOES work well...but if you have the TPS set too low, it can cause running issues. Somewhere in the 1700-1800 range works fine IME. 3000 is too high...granted. Just another thing to maybe check when you are trying to sort a problem.

Oh...is the clutch switch working? Some people mistakenly wire them closed thinking 'I don't need the safety'. But, when it is connected it changes the fueling below about 3000 rpm. If it is shorted the engine thinks the clutch is pulled all the time. Not good.
I will disable the TRE today along with changing plugs, cleaning spark plug drain, and checking for intake/vacuum leaks, and resetting the TPS.

The clutch switch is in working order and hasn't been tampered with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Changed plugs, tightened all intake clamps and checked for leaks, TPS is at 1600, and I'm ordering a TRE today. Still all of the same symptoms.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
4. Replaced the 3 TB vacuum caps, I'll check all other air/intake connections tomorrow
Um, I don't know about the rest of the guys here, but my bike has only two vacuum ports that are not being used...one one each TB. These are the ones I use to balance them. You say you have 3? You got a vacuum line lyin around your TB somewhere?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Um, I don't know about the rest of the guys here, but my bike has only two vacuum ports that are not being used...one one each TB. These are the ones I use to balance them. You say you have 3? You got a vacuum line lyin around your TB somewhere?
Nope, there are two ports on the right TB if you are looking from the kickstand side of the bike and one port on the left TB.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also to add if I'm decelling and try to get back on the gas sometimes it will lag for a second, backfire/pop out of the exhaust and intake box, then go.

·
Registered
688 Posts
OIL! I just had a very similar problem recently- my oil was on the low marker... I know it sound ridiculous but that fixed everything.

At least consider checking it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OIL! I just had a very similar problem recently- my oil was on the low marker... I know it sound ridiculous but that fixed everything.

At least consider checking it :)
Really?! Last I checked it was below halfway between full and low. I guess I will add a bit more and we will find out. I doubt it'll make a difference though honestly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts