Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at parts on oneida today. Wondering how much it would cost me to buy all the parts I would need to turn my SV naked into a sport.

This is the breakdown I got for all OEM parts:

cowling body $221
brace cowling $114
cover cowl inner $36
panel meter $39
LID RH $6
LID LH $6
Cowl Inst. Parts $40 (eyeball estimate....too lazy to add up all the bolts)
Handlebar RH $93
Handlebar LH $93
Headlamp $231
mirror right $33
mirror left $33

grand total: $945 dollars

I am sure I'm missing some things here too. Thats almost a grand for the conversion. When the difference in MSRP is $500.

ANyone have any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a friend that did this with an 03, cost him around $550-600. The cost savings came from him buying the majority of the parts off of Ebay and then painting to match. Also he went with Suburban Machinery Type 2 bars (approx $145 w/shipping) so that saved some $$$ over your options.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did he have to drill into the frame much?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does he like the type 2 bars? I was looking at those but I couldn't decide on the type 1 or the type 2's. I'm thinking the type ones would look like they fit better from the side.....especially with the fairing. And right now I'm having a hard time deciding between better front end feel, and better aerodynamics vs. easier on the wrists, and neck.

·
Registered
703 Posts
He loves them. Better front end feel and steering with out being as committed as you'd be with clip-ons. He let me ride his bike for a bit recently and it was a HUGE difference over the stock bars on my naked. Enough of a difference that I ordered my Type 2's last week. Just got 'em last night - it's my weekend project :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the SM2 bars, they are an awesome improvement IMHO for performance, but I can ride them for 4-6 hrs without issues. I paid $75 for my bars used, I can't see paying $150, at that price I'd do helibars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's a must. The stock bars will hit the plastics when you turn them.

A better alternative would be to buy an SVS and add some risers to the clip-ons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Abe Frohman said:
It's a must.  The stock bars will hit the plastics when you turn them. 

A better alternative would be to buy an SVS and add some risers to the clip-ons.
Sorry, I have to call the BULL SHIT FLAG on that. I converted my 04 SV ot 'S' and stuck with the regular handle bars and i never touched the fairing...it's a whole lot of clearance on a full turn. It's been 2 years and i have no problems, plus it's very comfortable than clip ons.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I have OLD SCHOOL SM bars that are and INCH lower than both the NEW SM bars and my brake res almost hits the fairing as is. I would say you might have issues with the brake res hitting the windscreen or fairing stay.

·
Registered
703 Posts
lokalboy83 said:
Sorry, I have to call the BULL s**t FLAG on that.  I converted my 04 SV ot 'S' and stuck with the regular handle bars and i never touched the fairing...it's a whole lot of clearance on a full turn.  It's been 2 years and i have no problems, plus it's very comfortable than clip ons.
My friend did the conversion on his 03, and he had to swap the bars due to clearance issues. No one is saying that it's necessary to spend $150 for SM bars, there's plenty of other bars out there for $20+ that would probably work.

But I still say buy an S model, get these or something similar, and be done with it. Much easier and cheaper since you don't have to comb Ebay for parts, color match everything, do all the wiring associated with the one vs two headlight..... You get the idea. ;)

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
inurface said:
better off trading/selling it in and buying and SVS
Or you sell naked parts and buy SVS stuff.... good way to off set some cost.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Nudist said:
Or you sell naked parts and buy SVS stuff.... good way to off set some cost.
+1

I traded a guy for all my Naked parts for his SVS parts FREEEEEEEEEEE

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if i was going to do this (not that i am because nakids rule ;D) i'd get after market race plastics and mount head lights in them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts