Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Quick FYI first: I did some reading around the site first and have also bleed brakes before.

Issue: after a low speed high side on the bike two months ago, I finally had most things in order to take a quick test ride to see how the forks feel (the new handle bar seems like its twisted left :( ). My rear brake was working fine in the garage, no hint of an issue. I didn't pump it alot or anything, but it was providing resistance on the disc and in the pedal. I got down my gravel road maybe a hundred yards and began to push on the rear brake lever to slow down for a hill and got no resistance and the lever went all the way to the bottom.

I just checked and there are no leaks, and the reservoir was topped off. The fluid inside hasn't been changed for at least 3 years (since I bought it) and likely longer as the PO was a cosmetic only individual.

Given that the brakes went out completely and all of a sudden with no resistance, not even sponginess I'm guessing it is the master cylinder.

I'm looking for any insight that I might of overlooked before I start tearing into things.

Also, anyone know where to find a rebuild kit? I already spent 15 minutes on the interwebz searching and came up empty handed.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd try bleeding it first just to see if that fixes it. i just had to bleed the rear brake on my 06 this past weekend and my buddy had to do it recently on his 03 - both bikes had been sitting a while and no leaks in the rear brake system, but somehow both ended up with air in the system. for both bikes we had thought something was wrong with the guts of the master cylinder since there weren't any leaks, but after a quick bleed to make sure, we were all good :rock: i dunno if there are any rebuild kits available, but a replacement master cylinder isn't that expensive on ebay.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and will try that when i get the time. I didn't find any rebuilds, even with more searching.

Sent from my iEverything.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rotor might be bent, if it isn't straight it will spread the pads as you roll. While riding, if you keep pumping the brake quickly will it eventually get firm? My friend had this happen to a front rotor, almost went out on the track with bad front brakes :(
I can sit in the garage with it running and pump it all day. Won't do anything.

Thanks for the extra idea though.

Sent from my iEverything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A dealer can get you a rebuild kit. I had my local bike shop order one for me, it is a genuine Suzuki rebuild part(they ordered it through a dealer). Pretty cheap, I don't remember the dollar amount off hand, though.

-Tyler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.