Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a radiator for my 2001 sv650s. If found a guy selling his rad off his 2005 sv650s.

Will this fit in my bike (bolt-on)?

thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would also appreciate some tips on things to check for or consider when purchasing a *used* radiator.

The one I'm interested in is a good price so I'd like to purchase it. But I probably won't replace my old one until much later on. So I don't want to do the swap and find out it's no good :mad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or you could let me buy this radiator for my '06 and I might be able to help you out with a radiator from an '01 or '02... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I could be wrong (and someone correct me if I am), but I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure the radiators are pretty different between the two generations. The 1gen rads are wider/taller than 2gen rads and they also mount differently and use different shaped/length hoses. I was going to try to put a 1gen rad on my 2gen, but decided to just wait to find what I actually needed so it wasn't all chopped and pieced together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not trying to hog the thread, but as far as tips for buying used....

1. Make sure the radiator does not leak, or the leak is small enough that it would be easy to have it properly welded and sealed. You should be able to pressure test it when you get it to be certain.

2. Make sure the fins are in decent shape. Some fins will get bent on a radiator, that is inevitable unless you have an appropriate cover for it. If too many of the fins are bent and mangled, it greatly reduces airflow and cooling capability of the radiator. The fins can usually be combed by a radiator shop to straighten them back out

3. Make sure the radiator doesnt have any JB Weld or stuff like that on it. Personally I hate JB Weld, but some people swear by it. In my personal experience, it should only be used as a band-aid until a permanent solution can be administered. Coolant seems to find its way through the JB Weld within a few days or weeks anyway.

4. I try to stay away from radiators that have had a stop-leak or silver seal used in them. If the person does not use it correctly, the stop-leak will plug up the openings for the tubes that carry coolant through the radiator.

5. Try to find a radiator that comes with the temperature sensor and fan. I think the temp sensors are the same in 1gen and 2gen rads, but I think the fans are different sizes and mount on the radiator differently. I just find it easier to buy it all together rather than piecing something together, especially for a simple system like the radiator.

6. And like I said before, try to find one that is for your generation of bike. I know there are some people on this forum with some wicked fabrication skills, but I can just imagine what my setup would look like if I tried putting a 1gen rad on my 2gen bike... I don't think it would be too pretty but maybe it's easier than I think. I like the idea of just hooking up a couple of hoses, clamping them down, tightening up a few bolts, and being ready to go.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
It will not be a straight bolt up.
We've put first gen rads on second gen race bikes, because they're less prone to crash damage. Going that way we had fab some simple brackets and (I think, it's been a while) trim a hose. Never tried to go the other way, and we never had to worry about the fan either.
My guess is that you could probably make it fit, but if the fan causes a problem it might be a fair amount of work.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry dcook, been off list for a while. In case you're still interested in the rad, contact this guy:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=84653

He replied to me with the condition:

"it is slightly bent, but all mounts are intact and hold water fine,
this is for the rad only not hoses or fan ect
i think it would fit but not sure if it fits gen 1 sv650,
what i meant was all years of second gen 03-08"

We're here in Ontario Canada though so not sure if shipping, etc will be worth it for you.

I don't need a rad that bad yet...still a very slow leak. I'll try a stop leak first.

thanks for the tips, I'll keep it in mind!

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts