Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i did a search to see if i could find all the parts required to doing a fork swap. this is what i found from the sticky above:

swap fork costs________________________
forks: 175-600
wheel and rotors: 170-300
brake calipers and controls: 50-100
triples: 40-70
fender: 50-80
axle: 20?
steering head bearing: 55?
special gsxr wheel tool: 10-24 (depends on your make and model of front end, you can either get a huge alan key [19-27mm] or a gsxr wheel tool off ebay, look for a seller named komodo draggin)
entire front end (recommended): 600-900

is this all thats required? if so will a 2005 gsxr 600 front forks and everything just swap out with the SV's?

asking this question because i recently learned of an '05 gsxr that went down cause the owner left his keys on a table next to his helmet at a party and some tool/asshat took his bike out for a joyride and ended up wrecking the bike. trust no one... the retard lived thro the accident but the bike is pretty banged up. still trying to figure out if the owner is going to part the bike out or repair it if the damages arnt to bad, but from pictures it looks pretty bad. heres a link to the original thread at another board. please dont flame the dude, it sucks and we dont need to point fingers at anybody.

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9534

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes that should do it for an 03+ sv its a straight bolt on. 99-02 you will need steering head bearing from TWF.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looks like you have a good line on what you need. I have an '05 GSXR750 front end on my SV Superbike currently. It is a nice swap.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You'll do a lot better buying as complete a setup as possible. I got everything (04/05 GSXR-750) but a rim and upper triple for around $500. The rim alone with rotors was $350, and that was a hell of a deal. That's probably the hardest part to find in good condition. A crash that parts out a bike almost always had a bent rim! ;) I finally got a beautiful shape top triple for $60 after 6 months of Ebay hunting.

Don't forget the small stuff that may not be included, its adds up fast... fender, nuts and bolts for various parts, new front tire (plus mount and balance), axle tool, new brake fliud, brake pads (if the front end is older), stuff for cleaning up or repainting worn looking parts (who wants a beat up looking bike!?!) possibly some extra stuff to hold the bike while doing the swap like rope or cargo straps etc...

I have a few of these little bits and bobs to get together before I do my swap, but its happening soon! :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
algreen said:
another important tool you'll want before you start the job is the steering nut adjusting socket. It's the only way to properly torque the head bearings.

http://www.komotodraggin.com/steering.html
Yikes didn't know i needed one $75 i wounder why so much :-\ so much for this being a straight swap for the 04bikes :-\

G

·
coyote said:
Yikes didn't know i needed one $75 i wounder why so much :-\ so much for this being a straight swap for the 04bikes :-\
or you could use a spanner wrench.
i have never had a problem before.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Kid Thunder said:
or you could use a spanner wrench.
i have never had a problem before.
were can i get one and how much ??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hold On!

Look closely at the third picture the one with a side shot does it look like the forks a bent in from the bottom triple down? I would not buy those forks! unless you can prove that they are straight I'm not sure if I am seeing things right either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya he hasnt replyed back. i dunno, have to have better pictures to see if they're really in good condition or not. chances are itll be awhile till he finally gets things moving again, and gets another bike and if he even parts this one out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Like kid thunder said, you can use a spanner wrench and "feel" the tension. I bought the tool and am confident my torque specs are spot on and the front end will never get loose. The factory tool for the job is 2 seperate parts and costs about $130.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts