Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- did some searching and saw similar forums but no one ever responded with a final answer.

Noticed thIs happening the othe day and every day since. As soon as I start the bike I'm hearing a high pitch whining noise that sounds like its coming from tank/under tank area. Happens while at complete stop in neutral or in gear or while riding.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advanced guys.
-chris

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Fuel pump.

Mine does the same thing ... Hasn't blown up yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
crap, that was my conclusion as well just lifted the tank to tinker around and it sounds like the fuel pump is constantly 'priming' the bike. guess I'll have to order one of those bad boys tonight seeing as its my only transportation at the moment.

Thanks for the input sir.

**EDIT**

Noticed a fuel pump was $600!? That's ridiculous. Just put one on my car and it was only $90.
Anyone know where I can get a decent replacement for a reasonable cost?
Found this one ebay but noticed that it might not be the correct year model and also connector. Any input?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a763b847c&vxp=mtr

-Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it's been a few days. Thanks for that reply.

I wanted to update anyone who was following or had the same issue. A couple of a days ago i noticed when i try to get on about 40% or more throttle, the bike starts to sputter/cut out throttle response. I can give it less throttle and it will still creep up through the revs. I haven't plugged in a fuel pressure gauge yet to test & confirm that the fuel pump is the culprite but thats my #1 guess. If anyone else has any thoughts- they're apprecaited. Also, i've checked and made sure the bike had gas in it as well.

-Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I actually put it up on the pit bull stand tonight and there it will sit until I can test fuel pressure. Still debating about the OEM full pump or the cheapy route & cut/splice.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok just tested fuel pump and it was reading 41~43 psi which is what the FSM shows it should be...
Any thoughts as to what I should checking next (easiest first)...
Again the symptoms are under 50% or more throttle it starts sputtering out around 5k+ RPMS and won't go any higher unless I give it less throttle- then it will easily climb up to 90 mph.
-chris

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Did you check the pressure while riding at the RPM's where it starts to die? Getting a static pressure reading only shows you the pressure regulator is working. While you are checking things, do a flow test. I think it's in the manual too with xxx oz's in so many seconds. This can often show a blocked strainer/filter.

And, do you notice the running problems get worse when the fuel level drops? Mine would run pretty much fine with a full tank...then get bad once it was half empty. I put a pressure gauge on that I could monitor while riding and it would drop to below 20 psi before a noticeable power drop happened. Pretty shocking how well it ran at 20 psi! But, it now holds 45-50 at redline and WOT....which it should.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of system did you use to test it while riding or starting the bike? What was your end result issue that needed to be fixed? - this is my first bike I've worked on so excuse my ignorance.
I'll have to check the difference on full tank vs empty.
Also, would improper spark plug gap cause this? I bought some from a bike dealership and they told me they came per-gapped.

Thanks for the quick reply.
-chris

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Suzuki makes a nice test gauge setup that T's into the line so you can run the bike while watching the pressure. I decided that was too temporary and fabbed up a -6AN line with fittings for the gauge that is permanently mounted on the left fork up at the triple. Having had a screen and filter clog I want to see the pressure while hammering on it.

Mine started choking at full throttle and low fuel and was getting worse. Inlet screen was clogged up with rust. Changed to a new tank and cleaned the screen but it must have hurt the pump running like that. Changed to the pump linked above, which made a big improvement but it was still laying down on the top end a bit. Fuel pressure verified the filter was clogging up. Had to change it....$250. NEVER again! I'll patch in something rather than paying that much for a stupid filter next time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah I see what u did there. I thought the fuel filter assembly (~$500) from Suzuki came with the whole set up that goes in the tank (including the filter). If this is the case I'd rather just do this and replace em all. Here's what my fuel pump looks like. I'm a about to pull injectors And check those too.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pulled the injectors yesterday evening as well and sprayed some compressed air while plugging them in battery. Didn't seem clogged. I think my next step is to replace fuel pump assembly w/ filter.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
See all that rusty crud at the bottom of the pump? You need to pull the motor out to get at the screen on its' bottom. You'll probably find a BUNCH of similar rust crap stuff all over it. You CAN clean this stuff off and it might be enough to fix you up...for free. Of course, if money is no object (you lucky devil:)) replacing the whole module with new will guarantee a fix.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...GroupID/381341/Group/FUEL_PUMP_(MODEL_K3_K4)_

You need to remove a screw on each side and the electrical connections, then the pump motor and filter will slide up and out of the mounting plate. You'll see what I mean when you get it apart.:) The O-ring that connects the filter output to the fuel line is tight, so you need to wedge a screwdriver in between and carefully pry it up to get it apart. If the two screws are out...it'll come. Just muscle it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the replys guys. Big help. I've ordered a new fuel pump assembly from gaybay. Has a 2 week return policy so ill cross my fingers that it will work. If not, I'll bite the bullet for the whole thing if need be. Should be in tomorrow- also, the past 2 fill ups I've used premium fuel and I'm reading mixed reviews everywhere. Does it make a **** if I use 87 or 93?
-chris

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've used 87 for almost four years now without issue.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
used premium fuel and I'm reading mixed reviews everywhere. Does it make a **** if I use 87 or 93?
-chris

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
The manual says 'use AT LEAST 87 octane fuel'. Some point to that and say you should only run 87, but I think it depends on a lot of things. Gasoline now a days is a very complex mixture and there are something like 18 different blends across the USA depending on where you live and the time of year. It really is stupid. But...it also complicates the octane question more than the numbers alone indicate.

Your bike might run best on your local 87...or not. Your local 93 might be blended such that the SV will run smoother and better on it...or not. Only your testing will tell the tale, although running on a dyno with either might very well show no difference in WOT power.

I've bumped the timing 4 degrees and removed the STV's and my 1K most certainly likes 93 better than 87. I've recently tested it with 89 and didn't like how it felt and sounded. Ran less smoothly and made different intake sounds at low rpms.....not exactly detonation....just different. Runs smooth and strong with 93 so that is what we use now.

Try the different local fuels and the bike will maybe tell you what it likes.:) If you finish trying them all without being able to tell a difference....use what ever you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to update anyone who has similar issues- recently replaced the entire fuel pump assembly (used on eBay ~$200) and the bike is running great now.

Thanks again for all of your help.
-Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Any reason you did not go with the one in your initial link on the third post for $69?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.