Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The saga continues. --Im doing my best to help sort out a naked sv 04 model.
it had huge wobbles and generally felt horrible to ride---MY old commuter bike (a 60000mlie 86 gpz600) felt nicer to ride.
The owner is five foot tall and the bike shop literally just drilled holes in the bottom shock mount and bolted it all back up for her.
Since then Ive backed the rear shock off to its softest setting,fitted a set of super corsers 1 race meeting old-so well scrubbed in and reoiled the front shocks with 15 weight oil. I tried hardening up the front springs but it actually made matters worse.The forks are now 1/2 inch up through the front clamps
Anyhoo end result is now the bike tracks straight and goes round corners almost perfectly.

And heres the problem --it still runs wide or understeers round corners. -- ideas guys
Ohh and yup the lady has zero budget

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Yes raise the rear and re foam the seat with a 1" piece of foam. What are super corsars? Tires? what size are they? If you went bigger on the front (70 profile) that contributed to the raising the front too. if you went wider on the rear(wider than 160), that will also contribute to slowing the steering and the bike wanting to stand up and run wide-esp with what you have described (Lowering the rear) without knowing how she rides, its very hard to say what is causing the running wide issue.........

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with Ivan on the set-up, and Morpheous with raising the rear and shaving down the seat; here are a couple additional possible cheap solutions, both of which strive to get some rider weight over the front wheel:

Keep dropping the front ride height 5 mm at a time (raising fork tubes above triple); you may be at the end of your adjustment range due to the fork caps hitting the underside of the bars. If that is not an issue, you probably have another 10-15 mm max you can drop it before you run into problems with bottoming out the front (fender meets lower triple), especially if the pilot is a furweight. Caution: dropping much more may play havoc with the geometry and suspension sag set up.

Train your rider friend to lean/pull herself up over the tank while setting up for turns; the next step may be training her to use what weight she has more effectively by hanging off slightly into even slow turns with a healthy leading shoulder.

HTH...

·
Registered
408 Posts
My wife's 650 is lowered 2 inches in the rear and 1 3/4" in the forks. It rides just as well as it did when it was brand new. BTW, my wife is 5' and can still reach the ground and is only about 1/4" from being flat footed with both feet touching.

Why did the shop drill holes in the bottom shock mount? You'll have to forgive me, but I don't know why you'd do that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
frosty said:
And heres the problem --it still runs wide  or understeers round corners. -- ideas guys
Ohh and yup the lady has zero budget
tell her to lean more, thats actually free ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry guys this is instalment 2--To fill you in on what happened---
My lady freind bought a new SV from the local bike shop -She paid cash but her instructions were--its too tall so make the bike low enough to fit me.The bike shop rather than using differrent dogbones or a lower seat just pushed the front forks waaay through the triples and drilled a new mount in the bottom of the shock 1'higher than the stock mount point--so lowered the back 1 full inch
She perservered with this evil handling thing till I borrowed it  for a couple of laps at a track day I was runnning
  It was truely evil handling. I've offered to get it handling for her.
-- I got the bike from her  with instructions being--Ive got no money -can ya get it to handle-Ohh and ya cant make it taller ---eeeep
So as in the first post Ive put on a set of tyres off my race sv and softened the rear suspension and pushed the forks through so they only poke 1/2 inch througth the triples etc.
Yep its raked out to heck but I dont wanna reintreduce the deadly wobbles it had before.
I'm very very tempted to toss the gixxer600 shock I used to have on my sv in it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here's a start: mount the shock back in it's stock location, and use dogbones to lower it properly. They are only like $70, so if she can't afford that, then she really can't afford to own a motorcycle. Then just push the forks up in the triples to match the rear suspension. Return the shock to stock preload settings and turn the forks preload down until 2 1/2 rings are showing. As long as a bike is lowered properly, it should not be behaving this way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looking past the suspension linkage and fork height issues, I would add...

If a rider is very light (as I am assuming a 5' tall rider would be), the stock spring rates may be too stiff (front and rear). The rider will not create the necessary sag in the suspension and there will be limited "negative travel". The suspension will ride harsh and not be compliant to the road surface, which will make the bike run wide, too.

Softer springs, front and rear, and lighter fork oil (more like stock) would all help a light rider (assuming she is).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually said lady is around 70kg. thats 9 stone 10 I think
Good news is I poked the forks through another 3/8 and the steering is about bang on -still slow -but then when has a stock SV ever been a quick steerer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts