Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently did the fork swap and noticed a few things. I used TWF's upper steering stem bearing to get them to bolt up and everything went smoothly. Everything came from the 04 GSXR (rims, forks, brakes, upper and lower triples) I took my maiden ride last night and at highway speeds, smooth road, going straight, the bike seems a bit less stable, more prone to a little wobble from wind, etc. I know the geometry has changed and wondering from those that have done the swap, how much different the bike felt in day to day riding. I also get a clunk if I brake at low speeds, don't seem to hear it otherwise. I loosened everything up and retightened this morning, just wondering if I'm possibly missing something else that I should look over. I haven't had a chance to take it through any decent roads (not that there are any down here).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
athflying79 said:
I just recently did the fork swap and noticed a few things. I used TWF's upper steering stem bearing to get them to bolt up and everything went smoothly. Everything came from the 04 GSXR (rims, forks, brakes, upper and lower triples) I took my maiden ride last night and at highway speeds, smooth road, going straight, the bike seems a bit less stable, more prone to a little wobble from wind, etc. I know the geometry has changed and wondering from those that have done the swap, how much different the bike felt in day to day riding. I also get a clunk if I brake at low speeds, don't seem to hear it otherwise. I loosened everything up and retightened this morning, just wondering if I'm possibly missing something else that I should look over. I haven't had a chance to take it through any decent roads (not that there are any down here).
Where the forks revalved or resprung before putting on the SV or are they still in stock GSX-R form? How high do you have the tubes mounted in the triples? Is your fender banging into the bottom of your radiator when you brake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Interesting... I'm ready to do the swap as well so I'm especially curious. Where does the clunk feel like it's coming from?

1. Headset not adjusted properly?
2. Fork Bottoming out? Oil level?
3. Brake components loose? But it would make the noise at higer speeds as well, no?

post some pics if you can...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The forks are as stock as stock can be. No work done to them, adjustments were never touched and the bike they came off of barely had 2,000 miles on it. When he took the forks off, he just unbolted the upper triple and slid them out. I did the reverse so the forks are in the stock location in the triples. I have not even attempted to start setting them up for me as I'm putting a new rear shock on next week.

It looks like the radiator and fender have plenty of clearance, but I have not been on the brakes real hard yet....so far it has not been an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
algreen said:
jarelj said:
Is your fender banging into the bottom of your radiator when you brake?
that was the other thing I was going to mention...
The forks defintely are not bottoming out and I did not check the oil level. Like I said, the forks are practically new with the original GSXR tire still with most of it's tread.

What do you mean by "headset" adjusted properly??? I did most of the work, but I did it at the shop I run. We are a Sea-Doo dealer, so nothing related to bikes, but one of my mechanics helped out some and he has been working on bikes for a LONG time. He looked them over and said everything looked good, but he didn't actually ride it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
athflying79 said:
What do you mean by "headset" adjusted properly???
I mean are the nuts that hold the steering stem into the frame tightened proerly? Those things can settle after installation, especially with a new bearing and race. With the wheel off the ground, they should have no play forward and backward on the fork but still turn smoothly. If the nuts are to tight, they will pit and destroy your bearings and races. If they are too loose you will experience loose and wobbley steering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, double checked that and tightened them up today. On a rearstand with the forks just off the ground, they feel good and tight, but not to tight. I just did it a couple hours ago, so I'll see if it feels different on my way home. Also, how did you guys tighten that GSXR upper triple nut??? It is only hand tight now, I'm guessing you need some kind of specialty tool??
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
well there is your problem right there.. your stem nut is only hand tight. you have to have a spanner wrench to tighten it or if you wanna do it getto style get a hamer and a flathead screwdriver. don't beat on it but put the blade of the screwdriver in one of the slots and GENTLY tap it till its tight enough (not reccomended as you cannot properly set the preload this way).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the GSXR forks there are two nuts on top of each other that tighten the lower tree and steering stem to the frame. Those I had a spanner wrench to tighten. Then you put on the upper triple clamp and the pinch bolts are tightened. Then there is another nut that rests on the top of the upper triple that is threaded on the steering stem. On the SV forks it looks like an acorn. This is a very unique shape and a spanner wrench or regular ratchet will not work. I hand tightened it, threw a rag over it and used vise grips to tighten it further. I figured Suzuki had some sort of speciatly tool to tighten it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to swing in see if I can find one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
algreen said:
It's a standard 32mm 6 point socket
Just went down to double check mine for ya.

It's a 36mm socket. 12 point works fine too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
athflying79 said:
Then there is another nut that rests on the top of the upper triple that is threaded on the steering stem. On the SV forks it looks like an acorn. This is a very unique shape and a spanner wrench or regular ratchet will not work. I hand tightened it, threw a rag over it and used vise grips to tighten it further. I figured Suzuki had some sort of speciatly tool to tighten it up.
You want to tighten that nut first, and then tighten the pinch bolts.

Make sure that the fork tubes are level with the top of the triple clamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!!! God bless the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
sv front swap

don't tighten yet! dumb question... but did you make sure you took the inner race out of the top of the headstock? you'll likely have to bang it out from underneith until you can get a screwdrive under it and pry it out. mine was tough. just a thought.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
algreen said:
rivited said:
algreen said:
It's a standard 32mm 6 point socket
Just went down to double check mine for ya.

It's a 36mm socket. 12 point works fine too.
sorry, I got my numbers mixed up. :oops:
no you did not mix numbers,he did.nut is 32mm.
also when you torque this nut check for steering again,making sure it is not to tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Time out!!!! As long as we're talking about the large six-point gold anodized star looking nut on the very top of the steering stem, check again. Mine is a 36mm socket. 32mm doesn't even come close to fitting. If we're talking about another nut, then I apologize.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top