Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy an 04' 636 shock to replace my stocker with. Are there any extra parts I need? Anything I should look for the shock to come with that may be missing? I'd hate to buy it and it be missing some tiny obscure part that will make it useless.

-josh

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if it has all the bolts you should be good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You need to buy a new nut and bolt to go through the bottom of the shock. The stock shock has one side threaded and the 636 does not and the stock is too short to fit all the way through the 636 ans still have enough threads to put on the nut. You can either buy the stock 636 nut and bolt from a dealer or you can go to Home Depot and get one.

I went the HD route and have had no problems, in fact, the guy that suggested the HD nut and bolt to me did the same thing years ago and has had no problems. Here is a pic of the shock after installation..

Notice that there is not much room in there. I found a narrow loc nut (about half the normal thickness) so all I had to do was trim down the bolt to make it fit. If you buy a regular nut you will have to grind it down too. Kind of makes buying the stock 636 nut and bolt sound easier...

Anyway, it was an easy, but very tight, installation. i really glad I did it..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
after you get it mounted. go get your suspension setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought mine on Ebay from a guy named chaplinkawasaki. Came a week later wrapped up nicely and was in excellent shape, it looked new.

NHSV... yes you do need to cut the battery box, in fact, I took out the battery relocated the cables to the side connections and rotated it to get it back in.

Also, you will need to cut the bracket that holds the battery in place, you actually have to do this no matter whether you put on the Gixxer or the 636!!! Nothing will fit if you don't cut this!!!!!

I have a Power Point presentation that someone else (Zip650) put together on this. Shoot me an email @ [email protected] if you want me to send it to you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
sv_chris said:
You need to buy a new nut and bolt to go through the bottom of the shock.  The stock shock has one side threaded and the 636 does not and the stock is too short to fit all the way through the 636 ans still have enough threads to put on the nut.  You can either buy the stock 636 nut and bolt from a dealer or you can go to Home Depot and get one.

I went the HD route and have had no problems, in fact, the guy that suggested the HD nut and bolt to me did the same thing years ago and has had no problems.  Here is a pic of the shock after installation..

Notice that there is not much room in there.  I found a narrow loc nut (about half the normal thickness) so all I had to do was trim down the bolt to make it fit.  If you buy a regular nut you will have to grind it down too.  Kind of makes buying the stock 636 nut and bolt sound easier...

Anyway,  it was an easy, but very tight, installation.  i really glad I did it..
Hey, that pic looks familiar???? ;D BTW I also have an "04" shock , but I have been told the '05 is a better quality unit. Frankly I am perfectly happy with my 636. Set you sag once you're done, place the comp/reb in the middle of their adjustments, then go for a ride and diall your settings in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, that pic looks familiar?Huh Grin BTW I also have an "04" shock , but I have been told the '05 is a better quality unit.
Zip.... yea I'm pimping out your PP..... I didn't think you'd mind.. ;) How's the little one?

BTW I have the 05.. It definatly has more of a bling factor.. Gold with a red spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The ride height with the 636 is right around the same as the stock shock. I had a gixxer shock on my bike before I got the 636 and it was higher. I'm thinking ot gettting some new dogbones to raise it back up though..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am glad I found this thread.  I have a 636 shock in my garage, and some time to install it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts