Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has everyone done to their 04/05 GSXR front ends to make them work properly on the SV?

Here is my problem:
- the Axxion valve upgrade kit is $800
- the AK-20 catridge is $1000
- What else is available?

Is there something in between these prices and leaving the forks stock that will give me better performance? (Aside from changing the springs which will happen) I don't plan on racing so I am struggling with paying $$$ to get these redone, but this is for a track only bike and I do enjoy improving out there. Are there some cheaper upgrades that can be done to the standard Showa valving to make them work better or should I just do it right the first time and replace it all with one of the above  ???

I don't need the best, as I doubt I would be able to tell the difference with my riding (read: I am not fast), but I do want something good, as I could definitely tell the difference with my setup SV front end and penske out back.

One more question ? the stock SV forks were very easy to work on, is upgrading the GSXR forks something a first-timer (to upside down forks) should attempt?

Thanks in advance  :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
I've seen the parts laid out for an unside downer with cartridges.... You can do it by yourself... if you have the right tools. Traxxion has a real nice set that you will need if you do it yourself....

For a cheaper solution I would go with a set of Race tech valving... Traxxion, GMD, LE or some one else should be able to get you the right shim stack to do what you want... and not for $800 either...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
Mine have the whole SVRaceShop treatment and they work fine. RaceTech valving, Sonic springs, polished internals, lengthening, and slick seals. They are not works Ohlins but they work well!
 
G

·
misko said:
Is there something in between these prices and leaving the forks stock that will give me better performance? (Aside from changing the springs which will happen)
yes,there is.you can reshim stock valves and modify internals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys  ;D , that's what I was hoping to hear.

I am buying the forks used and don't know if they are stock. I'll put the front end together to see if I can set the sag, and go from there. I think I'll let someone with experience do the rework though.....unless there is a good book or manual out there that I could learn from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,347 Posts
misko said:
I am buying the forks used and don't know if they are stock. I'll put the front end together to see if I can set the sag, and go from there. I think I'll let someone with experience do the rework though.....unless there is a good book or manual out there that I could learn from.
Not to state the obvious, I hiope, but you should probably try them before you decide you need to upgrade them... There's a lot of room for improvement in the forks as stock (I'm running unmodified K2 750 forks...) but unless you're pushing the bike extremely hard, or chasing tenths in a competetive environment, you're not likely to jump on the bike and think "Wow, I need to upgrade these..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Northwind said:
Not to state the obvious, I hiope, but you should probably try them before you decide you need to upgrade them... There's a lot of room for improvement in the forks as stock (I'm running unmodified K2 750 forks...) but unless you're pushing the bike extremely hard, or chasing tenths in a competetive environment, you're not likely to jump on the bike and think "Wow, I need to upgrade these..."
I agree, I plan on putting the front end together and if I can set the correct sag, I'll try it out on the track in Spring before I change anything (it would be nice to see what before and after feels like). If I find that I need new springs, I'll just have them reworked right now.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top