·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all.
I'm putting an '03 motor in a '99.
I'm using all the '03 stuff.
Any tips on fitting the newer tank?
It's a little different at the back so I'm wondering if anyone has done a nice clean install before I start up the Dremel? and welder.....
Thanks in advance!

T

·
0 Posts
good luck with welder and dremel.
it does not fit.if you do try make sure you have clearance for fuel pump under it.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'm with TWF... it's gonna be a lot of work.

I'd expect to cut and swap the entire bottoms of the tanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick (albeit negative) responses :)
Should I use the '99 tank instead?
Will the '99 tank work with the fuel pump?
It's not that I'm lazy, it just seems like there's so many smart SV heads that have tried so many things I was hoping to not have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I tried to put a 03 tank on my 02 and the fit was about the same as the 76 CB750 tank I tried. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, it's just not gonna be easy.

I think the "easaiest" way to do it would be to cut the pieces you need off the 03 tank and weld them onto the 02 tank.

My main problem with the 03 tank on the 02 was the bottom of the tank would not clear the air box. With your setup that isn't an issue, but the tank is still completely different for the rear most 1/4.

·
Registered
606 Posts
A good welding shop should be able to cut the bottom section that holds the fuel pump assembly out of a Gen2 tank using a nibbler cut a similar hole in a Gen 1 tank and weld it together without too much problem. Look for a place that does race car and old car restoration work. That sort of work will be easy for them. Good luck :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts