Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if an 02 or 03 gsxr1000 shock will fit on an 03 sv650s? i have access to both of the stock rear shocks from my 03 and a buddies 02. i was wondering if it would be worth it to put one of them on my g/f 03 svs. if it will work how big a pain is it. or should i just buy a penski,fox, or ohlins and be done with it?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bambam9371 said:
does anybody know if an 02 or 03 gsxr1000 shock will fit on an 03 sv650s? i have access to both of the stock rear shocks from my 03 and a buddies 02. i was wondering if it would be worth it to put one of them on my g/f 03 svs. if it will work how big a pain is it. or should i just buy a penski,fox, or ohlins and be done with it?
I just put one in the '03 in an '03 this weekend. It fits well. You'll have to cut the battery box a little bit. IT took me about 2 minutes to finagle it in there ( I hadn't cut the box yet). Once it's in you can mark up where you want to cut the box. I Some people have mentioned removing that rubber pad (you'll see what I mean) but I just cut a tidy hole in it.

I think the spring is a touch soft - static sag on my bike is 15mm: 5-10mm is more like it.
I weight about 155#. I adjusted the preload which is almost all the way to then end. If you're much heavier than I you may need a stiffer spring.

I've only ridden this morning so it's going to take awhile to get the commression/rebound correct. You can start off by just getting the return rate to roughly equal the compression rate. Jam down on the footpeg and see how long it takes to come back up. Adjust one or the other until they're equal. I started with compression midway then adjusted it 'felt' quick but firm, then adjusted the rebound until bounced back about as fast as I could depress it. This is in no way adequate but at least starts out with a somewhat balanced baseline.

The improvement is remarkable even without any tweaking. My original shock took a 15000 mile beating so it may have been dead. Exiting a turn just plants the rear end like wow. I can actually feel now where the adjustments need to be made - more compression needed! I'm sure it will never be perfect - it wasn't designed for this bike, but for the street and back roads it's fine.

Now the front end feels like total crap. Like a pogo stick with 3 drunken monkeys jumping on it. It never felt right, but it's hard to believe how much the crappy rear end masked this. It only felt like 1 monkey before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts