Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so when tightening my belly pan back on the bike this bolt snapped in half... i tightened it to tight.

so now i really want to put the pan on, what are some ways you guys would try and get the broken half out of there? I was told maybe reverse drilling it out, but i have no idea what goes into that. And could i just take of the whole cover off to get into it better? although i am not sure if i will even be able to get the whole cover off, if the bolt has some threading still in the cover..... Need some advise from you guys who have had more experience than I!! Ive been riding for a year, and am just now getting into doing my own maintenance.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Take a close up photo if you can, it'll help with the suggestions.

If there's any of the head left, try clamping on with some vicegrips and spinning.

If not, notch what's left and use a flat head.

If all that fails, get an ezout or other bolt extraction tool.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a side cover. If you were changing the oil it didn't need to come off. No threaded portion of the bolt is in the side cover. You'll need to remove all the bolts around the perimeter of that cover. Be certain that if there are longer and shorter bolts they go back in the same holes they came out of. You will likely need the gasket for that cover as well. With the cover off you (hopefully), will expose a short amount of the broken bolt. You may be able to remove the bolt with vise grips. If not the broken portion will need extracting with an 'Easy Out' or similar. If this is the case you had best take the bike to a mechanic. Your limited skills have already put your bike at risk.
The bolt is of quite hard steel. The surrounding metal is very soft aluminum. The bolt is small in diameter. A hole must be very accurately drilled in the center of the bolt. Typically with a proper sized drill having a reverse twist. The drilling action sometimes causes the bolt to unthread from the hole. If it does not come out an Easy-Out is tapped into the drilled hole, then twisted counter clockwise w/a T handle.
You'll understand all this and more if you get an appropriate Haynes, Clymer or Suzuki shop manual. I trust you have seen the 'light'? Don't screw around with things you have yet to understand. Your life may depend on it! Certainly your engine. R3~

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the answers. I have definitely seen the light! Learned the hard way plenty of times already its best to come to svrider before trying to do anything, and even better to get your all's advice on what to do! Again thanks for the quick responses!

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
You'll have to drain the coolant if you want to pull the side cover as it holds the water pump. Be careful when putting it back together to get the pump impeller keyed into its' drive properly. Don't force anything and be gentle.:) You've already found out the hard way these bikes mostly don't like to be bullied. There are only a few fasteners that are actually grunting tight. Those case bolts are like 4-7ft lbs which isn't very tight at all.

If the bolt snapped flush with the outer case you've got a nice chunk of it sticking out of the engine case that you should be able to grab with aforementioned vise grips and easily remove. If it is deep in the hole you might be just as well to drill it with the outer case in place....although it will be harder to see what you are doing.

Maybe the best thing to seek professional help for this one until you get more experience with things. Botching the screw removal can and will get really expensive really fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts