Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I'm at work. I was just about to go to lunch and discovered the bike won't start. Here's the symptoms: I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position, the electrical turns on fine (lights turn on, clock is on...etc). I turn the fuel pump on; you can hear it turning on as usual. Next I pull the clutch in and push the starter button; but the engine will not fire up. All I hear is the starter spinning. I have no tools with me, which sucks. What could the problem be? Perhaps a spark plug or fuse?

I think this problem may be related to an small incident this morning: I was at a traffic light and i THOUGHT i popped the bike into neutral (green nuetral light was on but it lied!) and i stalled it. Just then, the light turned green so i had to get the bike going fast. I think I started the bike before the fuel pump completely turned on. I think this is the cause of my starter problem. Any help is appreciated asap, thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is the starter engaging the engine? Or is it just free-spinning?

Without tools, you might have to bump start it, grab a few guys from work to help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like it's just free spinning.

What do you mean by bump start?

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear, get the bike up to 10-15mph (have one or two helpers push you, a slight downhill helps) and dump the clutch. (Key and kill switch on, of course)

·
Registered
536 Posts
It also helps to drop your weight hard on the seat as you dump the clutch -- it helps keep the rear tire from skidding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zanetti said:
Put the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear, get the bike up to 10-15mph (have one or two helpers push you, a slight downhill helps) and dump the clutch. (Key and kill switch on, of course)
I tried that a little bit ago but it wouldn't start - it sounded like it wanted to. When I let out the clutch it turned over a few times and then stalled. So, if it does start, I should pull the clutch in, right away to keep it from stalling right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whiteav6 said:
check the little connection where the clutch is... it could of come off ... its underneath the clutch..
This connection you speak of is under the clutch lever?

Note: I have been push starting (aka bump start) the bike and it is shifting just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts