Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that was a good two months. My bike was stolen sometime between 9pm and midnight on Thursday night. Right off the street in front of our apartment. Almost like they knew which apartment to watch and were just waiting for me to close the blinds for the night. Lucky I checked outside at midnight (fireworks) to notice it was missing. I never heard it fired up so they either pushed it away or loaded it onto a truck. Already reported it with the police and insurance. This obviously isn't going to be a high priority with the PD and I know bike recovery is next to never, so I've just been driving around the neighborhood the last couple days to see if I can find it, maybe they just stashed it somewhere for a few days to come retrieve later. I noticed our apartments have cameras looking down the rows of garages here, so I'm going to check the office Monday and see if I/we/they can check that time frame and see if any of them catch someone pushing a bike into a garage, and/or catch a truck with a bike in the back driving past if any overlook the street. Gunna try the gas stations at a busy corner nearby tomorrow or Monday as well.

Anything else I should do? I have comp on it so I should be getting a payout from my insurance, but suspect I'm going to get screwed on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man, that really blows, sry for your loss bud. GL on your endeavor. I hope you get your wheels back or compensated fairly, and I hope the bastards that stole it get whats coming to them. Idk much about thieving sh!t or how they would have done it besides some of the remarks u made. Better days for u

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't take first offer from insurance company. When adjuster offers you amount tell them "great find me replacement bike for that amount". Have 3-5 comparable bikes within 150 miles of you to show true market price.

I've handled totalled bikes that way and they come back with more realistic numbers. They just want the claim closed so they're not going to push back that much.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Post on local Facebook rider groups. We've had a few bikes recovered in my area with arrests, thanks to eagle-eyed FB users.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't take first offer from insurance company. When adjuster offers you amount tell them "great find me replacement bike for that amount". Have 3-5 comparable bikes within 150 miles of you to show true market price.

I've handled totalled bikes that way and they come back with more realistic numbers. They just want the claim closed so they're not going to push back that much.

How 'comparable' do they need to be? Unfortunately the fairing bikes are pretty uncommon in my area, and the Burnt Copper color is even more so. Literally only one Copper bike within 200 miles of me. Luckily it's also faired, the same year, and higher mileage with a decent asking price. Can I use other colors/years or would they just disregard them as being not equivalent enough? I'm pretty much going to have to use a few nakeds and newer years of varying colors if I want more than that one I mentioned. The few fairings are pretty rough shape or a few years newer.

Post on local Facebook rider groups. We've had a few bikes recovered in my area with arrests, thanks to eagle-eyed FB users.
This is a good idea, I just posted in the 3 biggest ones in my area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Make the comps advantageous to you. I'd use the one that you found and if you can't find one that is close you have to go out of your area. I'd add shipping costs of ~500 to the negotiations too. Getting something unique stolen like that is terrible. So hard to replace.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking if I tried using examples from too far away they'd just write them off as being in a different economic area so the value is different or some BS like that.

How important is it for the year/color/trim to match? I can find some more faired copper ones but they'll probably be states away. Would be able to show more in the more common colors and different years, which I'm sure would effect the valuations of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think color isnt very high on the list so I'd go with a bunch local that would work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OP - where are you geographically? Someone in here might have good replacement bike for you

·
Registered
50 Posts
This sucks man, sorry to hear. Did you have it locked up? I live in an apartment as well. I normally lock the wheels with a cable lock and then a padlock on the disc on the back brake. I got a cable long enough to fit around stair well railing. Hope you get your baby back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This sucks man, sorry to hear. Did you have it locked up? I live in an apartment as well. I normally lock the wheels with a cable lock and then a padlock on the disc on the back brake. I got a cable long enough to fit around stair well railing. Hope you get your baby back.
No I usually park it on the street, so the only thing I can anchor it to is around the axle of my car or something. We got a parking lot, but it's not huge and is on the corner of an intersection so it's super visible. I tried parking it in the same spot as my wifes car in the lot a couple times but we overlook the street so I can't see it. Maybe still slightly safer in the lot but I'd rather it be on the street in front of my Mustang where I can actually keep an eye on it (as much good that did).

I got 5 other bikes to show the insurance company when they try to low-ball me. I wanted to make sure they were the 650S with the half-fairing though since they usually go for a bit more and that's what mine was, really not a huge fan of the nakeds. But they're not super common though, so they're kind of from all over the place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts