Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a Penske on my 03 sv650 and the ride is great. I purchased a set of used 03 SV forks with with emulators and .90 springs and they suck! I'm 200lbs and the forks are too harsh! So, I'm going to the next step and installing F3 cartridges in my other set of stock 03 forks. I want the bike to stay SS legal...
So now, I have 03 sv forks and a set of f3 forks. I have a set of .90 and .95 fork springs. What else is needed to install F3 cartridges in my forks? I will most likely purchase gold valves for the F3 cartridges but I will be at the mercy of the race tech instructions to build the shim stacks. I've installed gold valves before on a 99 GSXR 750 with good results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
If you got the emulators, pop them out and readjust them.

For street, they should be two clicks ...

If you weigh less than 190, you may want to go 15 weight oil in the forks instead of 20 weight oil.

Give what you have a chance, I have 95 springs and emulators and my front end is rock solid steady and
works the street very well. Something is definitely wrong with your set up adjustment wise.

Have the damper rods been drilled out?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
DucOwner said:
they are the best damper rod ever so they will make your forks magic according to the site expert.

Again the SVForm expert on everything can tell you how to do it so your stuff is better than MotoGP suspension, if you can understand what the hell he is saying.
The thinly veiled personal attacks are getting pretty old Clayton. :-\

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have to agree ... I don't think you see it but you are really turning people off.

I have read a number of posts saying exactly that and you just laughed it off or pooh-poohed them.

It is not a joke and it is not funny anymore ...

Your call ... your business ... your life ...

Hate begets hate.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
DucOwner said:
Sorry Josh, just venting a little bit
Yeah, well you just gotta think about where you are .. I mean, everyone sees this stuff... mods, prospective customers.. jarels boyfriends. You've just gotta be more professional if you want to keep bringing in new customers.

Just try to accept that there are other people out there that have different philosophies than you. In my limited experience, it seems like it's that way with almost all mechanics/suspension gurus, everyone has their own way of doing things. I think as long as your customers are satisfied and the work they have done helps them be more successful, who cares if your competition does things differently? :-*

·
Registered
336 Posts
yea, i love the SVraceshop guys, but here lately i've been quite turned off. more than likely i'm just gonna take my business to someone more local now. sorry.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought with the 2nd gen sv you could use the sliders and not have to use the F3 tubes? I raced on 02 SV with emulators that thermosman did and they were great. I have no idea what's going on inside the forks I have now. I bought them from a west coast guy who worked on them himself. I know it's a bit premature to toss aside the emulators but since I have two sets of forks, I'd like to get them both working properly and then compare them (emulators/f3 cartridge). It's always good to have another set of prepped forks at the track!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It might be that your emulators are cranked down too much. When I first put mine in I had .95 springs and the emulators set at 3 turns--as was recommended to me by some racer friends who have similar setups on their SVs. It was just way too stiff for me, even with the preload backed way off. I ended up first trying only 2 turns, which helped a little, but eventually I went to .85 springs. That ended up being just about right for me. Even though I weigh 200lbs. There are a lot of variables to try until you get the feel you want. Unfortunately they all mean opening up the forks.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Checking his sag numbers will also say if the spacers are the correct length.

If his spacers are too long, nothing he does will work. That fork will be like an iron bar.

Sag is the first step to tuning a fork for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm.... F3 internals in my K3 forks eh? Sounds intresting, is shortening of the cartridge's something a person with stubby fingers and basic tools can do or is it best left to someone who knows what there doing? I have a set of f3 forks already is all, if it's best not to try it myself could I pack everything up and send it to someone who can? I see on the svraceshop that they do a conversion but that says they use the F3 upper tubes so im guessing thats for the curvy sv? Dont mean to steal your thread motorcop! I think we are pretty much asking almost the same question though ;)
Thanks! :)

G

·
Cookie said:
Hmmm.... F3 internals in my K3 forks eh? Sounds intresting, is shortening of the cartridge's something a person with stubby fingers and basic tools can do or is it best left to someone who knows what there doing?
Thanks! :)
depends how stubby your fingers are :)
only place that I know of from my experience that will do it right is traxxion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.