Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am new to these- and I plan to purchase an old stock 03 SV1000 next week...so I get to looking for a fender eliminator kit- and notice on Ebay that all the kits say "for 'S' models only- will not fit Naked models". So I did a search on here with no topics coming up on this- I thought I'd ask.

Seems strange to me, that the fenders look the same in the pictures I've seen....

So- is this true(that a 's' model kit won't work)? If so- can anyone point my to a kit for a naked bike?

Thanks in advance from the newbie! :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Are you looking for a fender eliminator or an undertail?? They are not the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I am talking about an undertail...I've seen them listed as eliminators too- sorry for the newbie confusion...I am talking about the covers that you paint to match that have the blinkers and a tag bracket(I think).

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Leedogg said:
I guess I am talking about an undertail...I've seen them listed as eliminators too- sorry for the newbie confusion...I am talking about the covers that you paint to match that have the blinkers and a tag bracket(I think).
OK, to make it a little more confusing, an "undertail" acts/can act as a "fender eliminator", but not vice versa. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
hmm not sure on this. Ronayers.com lists 63111-16GA0-291 for the '03 and 63111-16G00-291 for the '03,'04. not sure if it a typo or a different part. there are differences for '03 650's and '04 naked and 'S' versions. so best to keep on checking with others and what has worked for them.
Les

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason that the fender eliminators are said not to fit the naked is because in 2003 the naked and the S models used different subframes. Because the subframes are different, so are the tail plastics. The naked model has an extension on it's "mudflap" that holds two relays in place under the rear seat. Removing the "mudflap" or "snow shovel" gets rid of the mounting point for those relays. You have two choices, you can relocate the relays to a position under the rider's seat or cut off the part of the "mudflap" that holds the relays and affix it to the inside of the stock under tail. Most of the "undertails" will aloow for this as the slip into place over the stock undertray. The fender elimiator units are slightly different, relocation is the only option here. YOu can make your own fender eliminator for about $8. Check out www.suzukisv1000.com ; it's under AndyW's fender eliminator in the FAQ section. If you opt for a fender eliminator look at Hamicad ( http://www.hamicad.co.uk/SV_Fender.html ). If you're after a plastic undertray HOtbodies is nice but the color match is usually off, the Mototek version is nicer. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the explaination man- but unforetunatly it is not happening...they sold the nole yesterday!(Tuesday)...I got off the rig this morning and headed straight to the shop to fo the deal- and it was gone. May be getting a 06 SV1000S now, it is gray and looks really good- but I don't really like the lower bars. I also looked at a 04 Kawisaki Z1000, It really fits me better than the SV, but it has the all digital display- not sure if I like that- and the funly quad exhaust that would definately have to go. I'll keep you guys informed.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
'06 SV is a good choice, but I'd try to find an earlier version.  As of '06 Suzuki has designed the SV forks so that Race Tech Valves (and similar) cannot be installed.  If you're not too into corners or suspension set up it's not a big deal; I am so I noticed.  Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HA- went to buy a bike...and bought a car instead...a vw jetta TDI- 42 mpg...so the whole bike thing just got postponed for a year....

Thanks for all the hospitality guys- I'll still check in from time to time- I have an SV in my future- but I needed to do the responsable thing right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts