Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there :)

I'm new to this forum!! I just stepped up from a Honda Nx 250. So far...I'm utterly in love with the Sv's; Such a fun bike....

Anyways, today I was riding home from work. I arrived at a intersection making a left turn when I noticed that my turn signals weren't working. I flipped the turn signal switch left and right a few times when all of the sudden, the bike died just like that. Then I tried turning it back on and noticed that the engine was idling at like <1000 rpms getting more sluggish by the second until finally (this has never happened before), it turned off. This happened like 2 or 3 times until I flipped the high beam switch to low, then it turned on; It purred like a ferocious lion again. I don't know if it had anything to do with the headlights switch, but yea...now my peace of mind is shattered.

It was like 100+ F today with a little bit of rain ( I, however, covered the bike with a trash bag) Could this have anything to do with it?

Any idea's my brothers? Thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you think it's the headlight, can you try to do it again? Turn on the bike with lowbeams, let it warm up, and then switch on the highbeams to see if it idles until it dies.

·
Registered
818 Posts
From your description, it would probably be worthwhile to clean the left control pod. WD-40 followed by dielectric grease is one method. Electronic/tuner spray is another.

Personally, I suspect the idle issue is unrelated, but you might as well have working signals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!!! If anything, the bike probably needs a new battery and the left control pod definitely needs a scrub down...as does most of the bike. Anyways, I noticed a pattern today when riding home (the aforementioned bike turning off problem hasn't happened since last time). The signals and everything else were working perfectly, it was when I came to a stop and realized my signals weren't on that I noticed the problem. I tried to flip the switch again and it just wouldn't work while previously (like 1 minute before) it was just fine. Just so you guys know, I tested the lights while the bike was stationary and idling as well; The lights were working just fine!!

I come to stops keeping the bike in gear, and noticed (but not sure) it was when I tried flipping the signal switch with the clutch pulled in that it wouldn't work. Remembering last time I only flipped it twice before I stopped just in case the bike was feeling a bit nostalgic.

Any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts