Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I will say I didn't do a search before asking, and sorry if thats wrong

I just picked up a 2003 sv1000s with just 3,000 miles , the price was just too good to not buy so I grabed it not knowing a lot about this bike
but happy I did SO far
I put about 500 miles on it the past two weeks, not a lot but got me a little feel of the bike
things I hope to fix, would be the morror's
anyone have any advice on better mirros that can see past my elbows, a wider stance or a better place to mount them??

next the seat, its only comfortable for about the first 45 minutes it seems, from there its not all that much fun,
so any seat suggestions??

and last the bars, it sure seems like a little taller would be a lot better for comfort
I know I seen a few options, but so many folks seem to dis agree on whats the better route to fix this
so I am open to opinions if anyone wants to give any
other wise the bike seems pretty solid, it does seem to vibrate more than a few of my other bikes(been riding for 33+ yrs now) any cure's for helping there too would be much appreciated

and I will say thanks now for any advice
so Thanks !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get some mirror extenders, you can get the fancy SW-Motech ones for $80 or cheapo ones from ebay for ~$40. They help a lot.

Changing the seat is a must! Corbin, Sargent, or the Suzuki Gel seat are all good and popular options, each has its supporters.

There are plenty of options for bars. First you have to decide if you want to stick with clip-ons or go to the bar-riser route. I went with Heli bars myself, but if I had to do it again I would probably go for the ones you can find here in the vendors section (much cheaper!).

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
LSL high riser clip on give 1" rise and 5 degree down slope.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will look into all the suggestion more
with the bars, do you have to extend any brake/clutch line or wires, or are they a simple bolt on deal
I would like to keep things simple if possible, but if there is a better set up that means modifying so be it
would like to make the bike as comfortable as possible without spending a ton that is
so far I like the bike, and sure with fixing the above it will only get better

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have the below:

-Woodcraft clips on with a 2.5" rise (not too low, not too high) - no longer cables needed
-Suzuki Gel Seat (have ridden for over 5 hours one day) no rear end pain, and I barely have any padding back there
-Mirror spacers on Ebay or buy from chewy (look up chewy SV1000)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had an '03 SV1000S in copper that I put 32,000 miles on. Heli-bars and a Sargent seat allowed 9 hour days in the saddle without being too sore. The helibars worked with stock length brake and clutch lines. I eventually went with SV-racing rearset risers and Woodcraft pegs for a poor-man's set of adjustable rearsets.

I bought a set of Chewy's bar risers and they helped some, but I still saw a lot of elbow. Only way to truly get around the elbows is to install a set of bar end mirrors. I went the expensive route and got a set of CRG Arrows, but I **** you not, from my left mirror I can see into the right lane and vice versa for the right mirror. There are some cons though, such as having to look down with your head instead of being able to glance at the mirrors with your eyes. Or the relatively small size of the Arrows means it can be hard to determine where someone is exactly at a glance. Plus my bike (RC51 now) is that much wider. Regardless, these mirrors will go on whatever streetbike I'm riding from now on.

The thing that I liked the most about the SV1K is that you can truly make it either a comfortable daily rider/commuter/tourer with sporting intentions or make it more track-oriented. I've been through several bikes since I wrecked my SV, but I still think it is one of the best all-around bikes available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts