Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once searched this subforum and saw some stuff on this topic but I can't seem to find it now.
Bucking the trend, I wonder if I can change a '03 SV1000 N to an S.
I can get my hands on a really nice N at a tolerable if not great price.
I really like the way my wife's '04 SV650S turned out once I got it all fixed up for her. A 1000 might get me to put aside my ZRX1100.
Two main questions: does the '03 N frame have the fairing bracket lugs needed? I sort of recall seeing somewhere it won't.
And does the subframe match the '04-on SV650S/N or is it the odd one the same as the '03 650? I have stuff for the later subframe I'd like to use.
I see where forum member Steve Hunt has a new fairing and bracket of the matching color, so that portion could be workable.
Just noodling around with the idea. I am not seeing SV1000S's for sale much in nice shape that won't need a bunch of work. I prefer having a rear fender and stock exhaust for practical reasons.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
03 sv1000N does NOT have the tabs on the headstock for the fairing stay. so sadly, no you cant unlike every other year
03N subframe is the same as all the other years. 03S was the funky one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know. I'm sure you're right.
Actually, there's an excellent 650S in my garage... but she won't let me ride it hardly at all. So my basis of comparison gets unfairly narrowed.
I confess to a literbike fanship that goes back nearly forty years to my first one, a KZ1000J. It's a prejudice, I admit it. Two R100s. Connie 1000. FJ11. Three Wings. GPZ1100E that ran 106,000 repair-free miles. ZRX11. And now the FJR13 downstairs. Can't help myself.
Side note: there is a formerly-derelict '06 GSX-R600 also aboard here that once I got it on the road, seems to be capturing my attention.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To that last question: Chicagoland.
But I was leaning more towards a project than a nice bike, since the ZRX and GSXR have been hogging the debit card.
Then there's this reasonably-priced Ninja 1000LT I see over there...

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
the sv1k is not really a true liter. but all the rest of your bikes seem to be in the touring/ST category, so it might be similar enough I suppose. It's better than the 650 at highway stuff. It's easier to commute on it. but it's not particularly agile in corners which is what annoys the hell out of me. The extra 50lbs really shows up. see my comments in the blog post

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I'm a veteran of an FJ1100, a GS1100E, a 996 Superhawk and still have my ZRX1100, which I tell myself I'm keeping to tour on but never ride it. My Gen 1 SV650N is the bomb, the total shite, funnest bike I've ever ridden. 100+ pounds lighter than the Rex, same punch in the twisties, great compression braking, easier for an old man to ride fast anywhere but a straight road. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kenneth, the Missus says you're an absolutely bright and astute fellow.
Meanwhile, I hope to someday ride an SV650 further than an oil change leak test.
Does this person look as though I would be allowed to ride this S?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Oooh, maybe not. I loved my Superhawk, those 41mm carbs under that massive airbox masquerading as a fuel tank were smoooth and friendly, the torturous ergos and 100 mile range much less so. It was my first V2 and I tried everything I knew to come to terms with it. If Honda would only put THAT motor in a VFR... but they wouldn't, so 8 years ago I punted and got the Rex. I'm too tall and creaky for sport bikes and my cammed Rex has been a faithful friend but, well, compared to the SH it's about as exciting as my refrigerator. Like you, I was wanting a SV1K, but my '01 popped up last summer and I bought it on a whim, figured it needed the full monte suspension upgrades, did 'em, and I like the way she dances. The immediate shot of V2 torque beats waiting for the I-4 power band to show up sometime after I asked for it. For this amateur anyways, the 650 is plenty. Congrats on the hot wife on the hot bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts