Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put a GSXR750 frontend on an SV1000S before. I want to upgrade to better suspension in the front. Any advice or relayed previous experience will be appreciated.

BTW. I already have the GSXR750 piece in my garage so cost/availability is not an issue. I am looking for an upgrade that would be a better starting point for modification and trackday riding than the stock piece.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Rassie said:
Anyone ever put a GSXR750 frontend on an SV1000S before. I want to upgrade to better suspension in the front. Any advice or relayed previous experience will be appreciated.

BTW. I already have the GSXR750 piece in my garage so cost/availability is not an issue. I am looking for an upgrade that would be a better starting point for modification and trackday riding than the stock piece.
I don't have an answer for ya, but if it works out, let me know....I might wanna do it. Hell, depending how far you are into PA, I might even come over and give ya a hand if you want, putting it on.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dougz,

I will let you know. It will take a while though as I am going on vacation in about a week so it will have to wait untill sometime late in July or August. I am planning on documenting the whole thing and will take detailed pictures if any mods have to be made. I will gladly share that information...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Rassie said:
Dougz,

I will let you know. It will take a while though as I am going on vacation in about a week so it will have to wait untill sometime late in July or August. I am planning on documenting the whole thing and will take detailed pictures if any mods have to be made. I will gladly share that information...
Holy crap, you are crazy far into PA.LOL. Might be worth the ride though. Let me know when the time comes.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Matt McHenry said:
Rassie said:
Found exactly waht I was looking for at http://www.sv1000.zyns.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13299&highlight=gsxr750+frontend+swap

Dougz check it out it has all the details and step by step instructions.

Also found this interesting well documented mod or tuneup for the TSP.

http://www.sv1000.zyns.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9111
Great site over there isn't it.
Yeah, I actually found that site before I found SVR, but it is so big and busy, you miss one day, and there are 27 pages of new posts. Too much to keep up with, so I'll just go there to search for partilcular things.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now the only things I need are a pair of GSXR rotors and a front fender. I will be on Ebay the next couple of days to see if I can pick some up.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help. :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
;) Last weekend I decided this is it and went ahead and did the swap. Took only 5 hours including the time to make some brackets for the stock steering damper. I posted some pictures and other stuff over on SV1000 portal. See the link below:

[url]http://www.sv1000.zyns.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14647&highlight=finally+gsxr[/url]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, you can do it to the 2004.

You will really only notice it if you do a lot of twisty riding. You might notice it a little if you get the suspension set-up perfect for commuting. Mainly a improvement if you do track days, or lots of twisty road riding.

Matt

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
duane said:
Will this swap work on a 2004 and how much effect will it have on handling?
Duane,

I somewhat agree with Matt. It will work on a 2004, no problem. As far as handling, what I am seeing is allover better stability of the whole bike. My bike was a little wallowy through some corners especially if the road was not really smooth. Also at the track the front would push a little as you apexed the corners and sometimes it would just feel like it is not planted. Now it is rock solid. It is also easier to turn in and to switch from side to side through turns. On straight pavement it seems to absorb smaller bumps and larger hits better if set up for normal road riding. I have not done a track day yet but know of many GSXR's riders out there that love the Showa shocks. Adjustability is one reason I changed my frontend. You can adjust everything without messing with the fork internals. The stock GSXR bars are about an inch lower than the stock SV bars so this may or may not be an issue. Personally I am planning on getting some aftermarket bars to return the riding position back to standard, some people like the racier position and it is fine for track days or racing but if you plan on doing 100 plus mike rides it will become uncomfortable. Also I had to replace my bottom triple clamp which was $360 where as the GSXR frontend (T-clamps, bars and forks) cost $264 on Ebay. The only other parts I needed were a GSXR750 front fender and disc rotors. I found a guy who wanted to do a straight swap for my SV fender and discs so no extra cost. Taking everything into account with my situation it was a no brainer decision. If I sell my old stuff I may even recover some more cash. One thing to remember is that the GSXR forks are shorter than the SV forks so the bike will ride as if you have the stock forks set about 5mm above level with the top clamp. This does not bother me at all. I have also noticed that for street riding the stock springs work just great but after adjusting the suspension for track day use I noticed that the sag adjustment is not working out really well since even if you turn it all the way in it is still a little on the soft side. Does not bother me but the real racer types will want stiffer springs depending on weight. An lastly it looks so cool...

Rassie

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be the rebel here and say that aside from the bling value, you're better off adding new springs in the stock forks. I have heard from numerous people at sv1000.zyns.com that new springs and perhaps a heavier weight oil is best for the SV1000. There has been no reported handling improvement with a GSXR front end over a well set-up (+ new springs) stock SV1000 front end. In fact, quite the contrary.

Cheers.

My .02

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree. That is why I said it is only really noticed on the track. The Wallow of the front is do to the adjustments not being right, or the need for heavier springs and oil.

The SV1000S forks are fully adjustable. I have mine set up really well now without changing springs or oil change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks,that was very informative.Im really thinking about doing it,but Im probably going to wait untill winter to try it.Im just about to the 500 mile mark on the bike and when break in is over Im going to flog it,this really is an awesome bike.Im at the 443 mile mark right now and dont want to screw anything up.Oh yeah do you know which handle bar extenders will work to raise the riding position a little.Thanks again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are several manufactures for bars as well.

Heli-bars

sun-risers or something like that

LSL, this is on Spiegler's web site. It actually changes the top triple clamp and puts a one piece bar on like the naked model bikes.

There are few people that advertise in the upper right hand corner as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to agree with Johhny_SV. A well set up stock frontend will perform very well. My situation was justifyable since I needed the lower triple-t and the cheaper option was to go with the GSXR frontend. I have also talked to several guys (racers) who love the stock setup and have added the stiffer springs and even some other mods. The only advantages I see is the adjustability and the bling value. Some guys with newer GSXR frontends have also reported better braking using the GSXR brakes. I like the total package myself and I am a pretty demanding rider. Since my old front end was stock I cannot directly comment on the improvements with the stiffer springs. If I had a perfectly good stock setup I probably would have left it alone, then again maybe not...aah hell who knows..I like working on my bike almost as much as riding it.... ;D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts