Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of getting a set of '03 GSX-R600 front calipers for free. I'd like to replace my stock SV calipers with them but I don't know if they'd fit. Anyone?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not without adapter plates. The mounting holes are a little farther apart and center of caliper needs to be changed so it will work on an SV. I already looked into doing this... but since I put the Vesrah pads in it has not been at the top of my list.... I still have 2 sets of gix calipers sitting in my garage :lol:

Can it be done? Sure, but they dont just bolt up.

Y

·
0 Posts
keep us informed if you do make the adaptor plates. I have a set of 03 GSXR calpiers sitting in my garage also and wouldn't mind doing the same thing..

K

·
0 Posts
i have a set of 4 piston nissen calipars probably the same as gsxr ones off a bandit 1200 idd like to know too ivv tired before .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yamatr3 said:
keep us informed if you do make the adaptor plates. I have a set of 03 GSXR calpiers sitting in my garage also and wouldn't mind doing the same thing..
Ok - what I did with the motard (this was with the same caliper and 50mm bigger rotor, though):

- Placed the caliper where I wanted it to be on the rotor
- Took out measurements and made a template of two 2mm steel plate. The two plates overlap so the caliper will be level with the mounts, radially
- Used the template to make the adaptor from 5mm steel plate
- Bolted the whole thing together, using generous amounts of Loc-Tite

Works great

·
Registered
113 Posts
SVS at GdC said:
yamatr3 said:
Ok - what I did with the motard (this was with the same caliper and 50mm bigger rotor, though):

- Took out measurements and made a template of two 2mm steel plate. The two plates overlap so the caliper will be level with the mounts, radially

Works great
If you can take a digi pic it would be great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SVS at GdC said:
yamatr3 said:

Works great
I could not sleep for two days.All I did in my half sleep state of mind was going over on the adapter plate.
Here is what I think you did.Correct me If I am making a mistake.
1You placed the caliper on the rotor and Took out measurnments
2. You cut a steal plate 5mm thickness or stronger and drilled holes for existing caliper mounts.
3. You drilled additional holes on the steal plate for new caliper mounts and bolted all up.Total bolts four.two for mounting the adapter plates and two for new calipers.

question for you.How does the two 2mm steal plates give you a template.this I have a hard time visualizing.I understand they may help you level the calipers but how does that help one in deciding in what thickness ,distance etc. in the formation of the final adapter plate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arvan said:
I could not sleep for two days.All I did in my half sleep state of mind was going over on the adapter plate.
Here is what I think you did.Correct me If I am making a mistake.
1You placed the caliper on the rotor and Took out measurnments
2. You cut a steal plate 5mm thickness or stronger and drilled holes for existing caliper mounts.
3. You drilled additional holes on the steal plate for new caliper mounts and bolted all up.Total bolts four.two for mounting the adapter plates and two for new calipers.

question for you.How does the two 2mm steal plates give you a template.this I have a hard time visualizing.I understand they may help you level the calipers but how does that help one in deciding in what thickness ,distance etc. in the formation of the final adapter plate.
I'm not at home right now, so I can't take pics. Instead I made this piece of art in MS Paint :wink:

This is seen from above. As you can see there are two adapter plates that are bolted together to make the caliper flush with the mounts on the fork leg. The templates are not part of the final construction, they were just used to determine where to cut and drill the 5mm plates. You can use cardboard as templates, I just like thin steel plates because they are stiffer.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
seems like there would be a lot more flexing/movement of the caliper with a set up like that..

sv brakes with vesrah pads & ss lines are plenty strong. plenty of people win lots of races with that type of set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts