Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay okay... I finally (just this morning) got a dyno run for the Cam swap out of the way. Now mind you my 2000 naked is a bit under powered than the rest of the bunch... but I'll live with it. Who knows why it's this way, but it always was this way (I've owned it since new).

Note the lower curve (yes I did say lower...) is:

152.5 Mains
15 Pilots
3 turns on A/F Screw
Dynojet needles on 3rd clip
drilled slide hole
Renegade dual high mounts (slip ons)
De-snorkled stock filter.

The higher curve, is the same but with the addition of 03 Cams to the intake side and my 00 cams to the exhaust side. The dyno operator (JD Hord of Mechana Corsa) recommended that I go with 160 mains.... :shock: Those are big... But by the results you see the wiggle marks... more fuel please....

I'm more than happy with the results... Ask questions... but beware I might not answer them, as I'm off and on my way to the Rally early tomorrow morning.

On another note, Orangegilly ran his along side of mine on the dyno and he pulled the same numbers with stock intake and exhaust cams... He had the same jetting as I did except he has an M4.

But for you non believers.... look below....

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bandit said:
So you gained 8hp and 5ft torque just with the cam swap? That's the best I've heard so far
Yes... I was suprised as you are. I was expecting maybe 4 or so. It was the same dyno, same operator... just different weather conditions, but they "shouldn't" acount for as much of a gain as I got.

I'm happy with it though... :D

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Wacky does have a fatter midrange, though. My peak was actually at 72.3 hp with an M4 race mount full system, 152.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, desnorkeled stock filter, 2 shims, and 2.5 turns on the A/F. My peak torque was 45 something, I can't remember - my printout is still in my tankbag. From about 4000 rpms, wacky had about a 2-3 hp advantage until about 9500 or so....then just about dead even.

I can't complain, but then again, I never ran mine stock to get a baseline, either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
please let us know how your gas milage fairs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ziguy said:
bandit said:
So you gained 8hp and 5ft torque just with the cam swap? That's the best I've heard so far
And all that for $200! 8)
Ziguy, you did the swap too, didn't you?
Do you have a dyno?

Questions for both: did you do the swap yourselves?
how long did it take?

I never paid much attention to this mod :oops:
I better do some searches on this, based on the before and after dynos, it appears to kick ass!

Marcos

·
Registered
98 Posts
Marcos Santiago said:
Ziguy, you did the swap too, didn't you?
Do you have a dyno?

Questions for both: did you do the swap yourselves?
how long did it take?
Unfortunately, no dyno. But I know that my bike now pulls harder than my friend's '03 (Yosh and K&N).

If you remove radiator and everything, it takes maybe 4 hrs. It could take longer if the clearances are incorrect after the swap.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com has the cams for less than $100 each. Don't forget to order new tensionner gaskets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, now do mine!

Great post, btw, having before and after dyno runs beats the crap out of "I didn't dyno it before, but I can feel it's got WAY more power now..."

·
Registered
449 Posts
Should be able to gain about 1hp with the proper jets. You're right the wiggle at the end means it needs more fuel.

Grav.

C

·
0 Posts
I'd definitely get the jets changed, you're hittin 14:1 A/F. 14.7:1 may be static, but motors don't work well at static actually.

Get the carbs tuned and you'll be rockin, congrats!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did mine myself with some help... It took about 3 hours. Less if we didn't have to go and get new shims. :lol:

Gas mileage... the same. It's actually better, but that's because I am running a 45T rear vrs a 46T I used to run.

I plan on going up a size or two on the mains and adding a 17.5 Pilot jet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What is your altitude there in Cleveland? I am going to do this and am wondering what my jetting should be.

Grav.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GraVitY said:
What is your altitude there in Cleveland? I am going to do this and am wondering what my jetting should be.

Grav.
I think it's around 500 ft or so. Maybe 1000 ft at most. Pretty much it's set up for sea level type riding.

It's got interesting at 5500 ft on the Cherohala.....

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Wacky... did you get my 17.5 pilots? I swear I sent them. Just wondered if you had tried them.

This looks like a good enough mod that I may have to try in couple of winters.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
syntheticton said:
Wacky... did you get my 17.5 pilots? I swear I sent them. Just wondered if you had tried them.

This looks like a good enough mod that I may have to try in couple of winters.
Yup... got them today actually. They may have been sitting in my inbox, I just haven't been at work the past three weeks.

I should have them on sometime soon. I will put them in when I go to the bigger mains. Man... I am worried about doing that... but hey... more power is more power...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
cool... glad they made it

how's come the worry over bigger mains? gas mileage?

I am amazed at the size of mains you are running already with DJ needles. I know big part is desnorkled stock filter but man... I have K&N, full Yosh race system, drilled slide holes and I am dropping back to a 140 main with DJ needle and clip on 3rd rung. Had 142's in and clip on 4th rung and was too rich... plugs looked nice and dark brown when I pulled them to put new Iridium's in and it seem to be lacking in low end department.

I may do the desnorkling thing on stock filter soon too. Not so sure K&N is all its cracked up to be for certain vehicles like the SV.

Sorry I missed you guys at the rally. Really hated to miss it. Almost packed up the Escape and drove down... man what a loser I would have been to show up at SV rally in an SUV :lol:

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
K&N for the SV's not up to much- I'm lean with 165DJs on a WRP full system and BMC Race RS filter :)

(how can you tell the Race RS is better? Stick a K&N in an SV without jetting and you'll be a bit lean. Stick a Race RS in an SV without jetting and it won't pull :))

1 - 20 of 40 Posts