Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to riding and this forum and was hoping you all could help me out with finding out what this problem is.

So I was out riding when suddenly my rpms start falling and the bike stalls out. I pull over, pop it into neutral and start her back up. About 10 miles later, same thing happens but when I pull over I have to use some force to shift back into neutral, and then the bike fails to start. Power is fine, lights shining bright and instrument cluster is working, but as soon as I press the ignition it tries to turn over once then stops almost as if power has been cut entirely. So I walked it to the nearby store to call for a ride home, and noticed it smelled funny, kinda like oil. The bike had not overheated, and there wasn't any visible leaks. In my panic of "Oh no my bike is broken it's the end of the world" mindset, I did not check the fluid levels before I left the area. So I was wondering what possibly could have caused this problem. Was it just me being new and stupid that caused it or was it just an actual mechanical failure of parts wearing down or what not. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
905 Posts
How'd you get the bike home? Truck?

There are many possible causes here. Do you have a DVOM? (If you don't know what that is, chances are you don't - Digital Voltage/Ohm Meter)
When it stalled, did it just suddenly die? Stumble for a while before succumbing?

If someone had a gun to my head and demanded an answer, I'd say you might have an alternator/battery issue.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It will quit rather suddenly, if it runs low on oil.....your smelling oil made me think of this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently bought an 03 sv650s and I'm having pretty much the same issue. My tank was a lil rusty so it looks like it gunked up my fuel pump...not enough pressure in the fuel line and whatnot. If your throttle just gets gradually weaker and weaker until the bike starts choking up on you, then I'd have to say that's a good place to start looking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well still no resolve to this, It was extremely low on oil, my fault for trusting solely in instruments instead of personally checking. So I topped it off with oil but it still won't start, almost like it is stuck on itself. And since it won't start, the oil isn't able to get in and lube it up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well still no resolve to this, It was extremely low on oil, my fault for trusting solely in instruments instead of personally checking. So I topped it off with oil but it still won't start, almost like it is stuck on itself. And since it won't start, the oil isn't able to get in and lube it up. Any ideas?
Get it in neutral and see if you can manually crank the motor by hand. Hope you did not seize it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts