Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Easy to do, I'm in the process of doing it now, just waiting to find some replacement shims. Check out the service manual if you havent already, maintaince section for checking the clearance, and engine section for removing camshafts if you need to change shims. I was lazy and my bike has 23k on it for its first check, rear cylinder intakes were tight, but thats it. They were at the bottom of spec (.01mm I believe) so I'm bumping them up into middleground. Oh yeah, I believe they are shim under bucket, not too familiar on terms, but the shim is underneath the tappet which looks like a bucket.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The shims are under the tappets (probably stuck to the tappets with oil), same as the first-gen engine. In fact, the engines are identical aside from the PAIR system, FI and the oil cooler. All you need is a thickness guage (same as you would use to gap spark plugs) and some patience. And make sure you don't mess up the timing of the cams (I suggest you mark the position with a paint marker before disassembly so you don't have to redo the timing from scratch.).

·
Registered
597 Posts
TestaStretta said:
The shims are under the tappets (probably stuck to the tappets with oil), same as the first-gen engine. In fact, the engines are identical aside from the PAIR system, FI and the oil cooler. All you need is a thickness guage (same as you would use to gap spark plugs) and some patience. And make sure you don't mess up the timing of the cams (I suggest you mark the position with a paint marker before disassembly so you don't have to redo the timing from scratch.).
That's a good sum up, just to add though...

Have a service manual.
New gaskets and spoody if you are anal like me.

And remember it's a 15,000 Mile CHECK. I will bet they all are still in spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts