Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2002 SV650
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
New member, Could use some help!
I changed the battery, controls, levers, lugs, flushed the radiator, etc. still won't start.
In the video you can hear that it tries to start but something is not right. I verified spark in the top cylinder (will take the radiator off tomorrow to verify the second).
Before I go through the pain of taking of the carbs and rebuilding, could use your thoughts and idea of what it could be..
Thanks in advance
馃檪

Registered
2000 SV650 N
Welcome to SVR. It would help if we had some history on the bike. Miles. Modifications. Last time the carbs were cleaned. Stored. Generally, if you're getting spark, it's going to be a fuel delivery issue (carbs).

Registered
2002 SV650
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2002. Current millage says 19K but I can't trust this is the original odometer. Bought it from a guy that said it was running about a year a go.
No mods as far as I can see.

Registered
2000 SV650 N
It's a 2002. Current millage says 19K but I can't trust this is the original odometer. Bought it from a guy that said it was running about a year a go.
No mods as far as I can see.
In general, if it sat for a year (or less) with gas in it, the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. The gas, especially ethanol gas, gunks up pretty badly. Also, check the inside of the tank for rust. You can go through my threads to see what I went through to identify my issue. After nearly two month of troubleshooting, my main problem was simply rust in the tank.

Buy the journey is certainly worth it, both educationally and experientially. Mine is purring like a kitten now.

Also, ask a lot of questions on the forum. My experience is with only one SV. Many of the guys here have worked on hundreds of bikes. Real professionals who are more than willing to help.

Registered
2002 SV650
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the saga continues...
Here is where we are now:
  • Carbs have been removed, cleaned and put back together.
  • Battery is new
  • A 1000W Stanly jump started was attached as well to give it extra boost
  • New sparkplugs, both have a spark (confirmed)
  • I use IV drip type device for fuel and even tried starter fluids spray directly to the carbs.
Bike still doesn't start
馃檨

Here is the latest video:

Registered
2000 SV650 N
What did you find when you took the carbs apart? Was it gunked up? Was the pilot plug removed? What was the jetting? Where were the needles? Did you douse every hole with cleaner then blow out with compressed air? Everything needs to be beyond clean, but sparkling.

It's obviously getting fuel from looking at your video. If it's getting spark, I'm surprised it would not fire with starter fluid. We could use some input from deeper minds, @Straticus, @RecoilRob, @Salty Sway, @TeeRiver ?

Registered
It doesn't sound right to my ear, but that's one of the problems with video sometimes. It almost sounds flooded and then like it has no compression.

I would pop the oil cap off and smell for fuel and then pull the spark plugs out and make sure they're not fouled or soaking in fuel. Then I would crank the engine with the plugs removed to push out any fuel that might be in the cylinders. I would then do a compression check because I have the tools and it'd be easy at that point.

Have you ever heard the bike run, or is this one you're trying to resurrect with no history?

Registered
Make sure the battery is kept well charged whilst trying and also use the Forum search function for problems with the Choke plungers if fitted.

Super Moderator
As others have noted - check the battery for full charge. I think it's low.

Sounds like it's flooding to me as well.

Back the choke/enrichener off and crank (after charging) while opening the throttle slightly. As soon as it sounds like it wants to run, it's usually best to back the choke/enrichener off more.

As GC asked - has this bike running before while you've had it? Or did you just get the old - "it ran when I parked it" story? If you haven't heard it run, there is always the possibility of mechanical problems like incorrectly adjusted valves or improper cam timing.

I bought our CFR150R not-running from a kid that said - "it hasn't run in a while" - but not much else. It kicked over fine and looked in pretty decent condition overall. I figured the carb was gunked-up. Carb was fine.

Turns out it had bent a valve and chewed-up the cam. I wasn't totally surprised, as I paid less than half what the normal price was at the time. Luckily all it needed was a valve, valve job, and a cam - which were reasonably priced from Honda. The crank and cylinder were fine. The fact that the (Nikasil) cylinder was perfect was a surprise - considering it had no air filter and the airbox was filthy.

Registered
2002 SV650
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't sound right to my ear, but that's one of the problems with video sometimes. It almost sounds flooded and then like it has no compression.

I would pop the oil cap off and smell for fuel and then pull the spark plugs out and make sure they're not fouled or soaking in fuel. Then I would crank the engine with the plugs removed to push out any fuel that might be in the cylinders. I would then do a compression check because I have the tools and it'd be easy at that point.

Have you ever heard the bike run, or is this one you're trying to resurrect with no history?
This is the one I'm trying to resurrect. I'll trying pulling the plugs again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts