Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this mostly stock low mileage 2002 SV650 in '07. Day of pick up.

Sold the clip on, and put some stock bars and mirrors on it. Also threw on some new tires.

Mufflerectomy

Road trip to the Dragon

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then it happened...back road ride on some local roads, sand then into a guard rail....

So this is when the project began, '02 gsxr 750 front end

On the bike, TWF bearing kit

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Needed a new front header, picked up a used d&d exhaust with a bad muffler. Used the front header. Same id.

Since the bike was apart, what better time for a rear shock swap. gsxr rear shock, forgot what year. Had to mod the battery box to get it to fit.

Picked up some Buell parts, Buell xb12s light, grille, and windscreen.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I had issues sourcing a headlight bracket for the windscreen and headlight. Got to work, took some measurements, and my dad fabricated this nice bracket out of aluminum.

Next up was replacing the destroyed tach and speedometer. I decided to go with the Trail Tech Vapor with dashboard. Great product. Only had issues with the fuel light indicator. Had to add two resistors to get any indication I was low on fuel.
Here it is mounted up to the Vortex triple. My dad decided the provided vapor mount wasn't good enough lol so he made me a factory looking mount out of aluminum.

Some cheapo blinkers

Got some new clip ons

Installed

Picked up a belly pan

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vapor speed sensor on an adjustable mount my dad fabricated. Mounted on the swing arm since the gsxr front end is difficult to mount to.

Everything back from paint and body, mmmm, yellow.

Back together

Ended up using svs cables

On the road.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I didn't ride the bike much, and sat for a few years (2010 to 2012) before I really got back into it.

Picked up an 06 gsxr 600 wheel off of cl

left stock, right gsxr not a huge difference

Dealt with Zoran from TWF, very informative, and always willing to help.

In the mean time I decided to replace the gsxr rear shock with an 04 636 shock to eliminate the rear end sag. The gsxr rear shock was actually an inch shorter than the stock sv shock, 636 was the same length. Also picked up rear set risers from SVRacing

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't anticipating the 636 shock swap to be much more work than just a simple removal of gsxr shock, swap 636 in, and bolt everything up. This has turned into a much more involved project lol.

The battery box I modified for the gsxr shock doesn't work with the 636 shock. The reservoir on the 636 shock is significantly wider, and sits higher up. I also need to trim or mod my gas tank bracket, atm I cannot get it on due to the reservoir being in the way, so I'll either trim that lower piece, or shorten it and weld it back together.

Here some pics...

Other than the battery box issue, and tank bracket clearance problem the fit is decent enough. No other real clearance issues.

My parts came in from TWF. Thanks Zoran.

The state the bike

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I accomplished a few things and got hung up on others...here's what I have so far (disregard the caliper bracket not on the bike)

Here is the tank bracket that needed some massaging, that bent piece at the bottom was shortened and tweaked a bit. Welded, then painted to cover the welds.

The battery is in, not very pretty, but it fits under the seat (barely).

Rear shock and my modded modified battery box, more like a battery bench now.

So my next issue that needs tackling is shaving down my Vapor speed sensor bracket. Atm the speed sensor is rubbing against the rotor screws. That should be easy enough to do.

Now the real issue mostly because I don't know what size sprocket I have up front, and I didn't even think about having to get a new chain.:facepalm: Anyways, the stock sv sprocket has 45 teeth, the gsxr sprocket that came with my wheel has 48. So the stock chain on the bike is to short, and I know the gearing will be different.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Trimmed the mount that was made for my stock wheel setup, (Trail Tech speed sensor ran to rear wheel vs front). Test fitted, should work, caliper bracket on as well, so how it should look fully assembled.

Other side

Very nice fitment with the swap kit.

Well my dad swung by and helped me finish the bike, needed a hand and tools getting the front sprocket off.

So now I'm done.

Quick 2 min walkaround / exhaust vid in the driveway.

Thanks for checking out my build/progress thread, and big thanks to everyone who helped me out by answering any of my questions along the way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike info

Bike: 2002 SV650
Mods:
'02 GSXR 750 forks, rotors, calipers, wheel, fender, brake lines
Vortex triple
Buell xb12s headlight, grille, windscreen
Trail Tech Vapor tach/dashboard
Custom machined aluminum bracket for the Vapor