Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I've owned my SV650 for a few years now and recently I've been having to change my battery every 6-12 months as it kept losing charge, especially during winter time. I finally invested in a Multimeter and got a new battery to replace the current one as it simply wouldn't keep charge. Testing it with the bike up and running I was getting around 13.5V on the battery which seemed fine, but then I revved it up to around 2.5K and the voltage jumped up to 18V! Reaching 19V with lights turned off!

This explained why I had to change batteries every year and why things like my indicators, lights and dash lights kept popping, but I have no idea what was causing it.

After some research I found that the culprit may have been the Regulator Rectifier which I never had an issue with beforehand. Regardless, I opened the side panel up and found the mess that you can see in the photos:

One of the yellow wires were burnt to a crisp, and the connector melted so I replaced it with some 12G wiring in red. But other than that I have no clue what is going on with the wiring.

Two red wires lead to nowhere:

The red and black wires look like they don't belong where they are, the yellow and black/white wires are shorted for whatever reason:

This is the first time I opened up the side panel since I got the bike and now I can see why I got the bike so cheap.

Could this be the cause of the over-charging? What should I do next?

All help is greaty appreciated, this bike is my daily driver and I need to get it fixed ASAP or I won't be able to travel to work.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hot dog, dude... I would get a different SV o_O it would be cheaper than making that really road-worthy!
I'm serious about that, but since you probably still want to fix this I would take everything off that rusted-out tail section and remove whatever after-market wiring you can find. Those two red wires that lead nowhere look like something a previous owner installed. You should use that voltmeter to test your regulator by the book and replace it (there are threads all over the internet telling you how to test and replace it). It looks like you have a lot of wiring to get rid of, but the yellow and black wires in your final photo are stock. I think that's just 12 volts but I can't remember. I just left mine capped.
It is amazing that after a few years of ownership this is the first time that side panel has been off. It's hard to imagine any of that mess working for that amount of time. Now that you see what you're in for, just start removing what doesn't belong, clean what does belong, and get out the soldering iron and heat-shrink tubing to fix what you can.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Check out these pages,

Yep it's a mess but if the bike was running OK other than the charging issue leave them alone. It's not the best state but it's a case of the of, "If it's working, don't fix it". just make sure all the contacts are clean and secure as best you can.

Just replace the R/R. The circuit is quite simple e.g 3 HT(High Tension) wires (Yellow) come from the Stator( 70 VAC ish @ 5000rpm) and go to the R/R and are converted to LT(Low Tension e.g 12v DC) and two LT wires come out of the R/R and go to ground and the Battery.

Note:
On older machines like these it's worth fitting a cheap Volt meter to keep an eye on the charging system.

Addendum.

UK and Euro older motorcycles like these allow the lights to be fully switched off unlike most US models e.g they have a 3 position light switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts