Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an 02 sv650 the guy i got it from said he rode it then one day it quit and he wasn't getting spark. We found both headlights blown so we replaced both the stator and r/r....still getting no spark....checked resistance for the anti theft only getting .067 olms so we found a 100 olm resistor put it on and are getting the 100olms resistance at the ignitor but aren't getting the 6 volts to the ignitor....is the cdi box fried or is there a step we are missing considering we aren't getting the voltage at the ignitor? If the ignitor is bad any suggestions on where to buy one? When googling the only one I found is for $185 anything cheaper incase this isn't the issue?

·
Super Moderator
8,161 Posts
Given both headlights are blown, the ignitor is probably fried too.

Good that you have replaced the R/R as this is what likely burned the lights. Probably did not have to replace the stator as pretty sure that was putting out LOTs of current.

Make certain the replacement R/R is NOT the stock R/R as those are ticking time-bombs and will fail again. The replacement R/R should be a cool running MOSFET type.

Before calling the ignitor bad:
1) How exactly did you measure 0.067 ohms? What color wires did you probe?
2) Where did you place the extra 100 ohm resistor? Did you cut/splice any wires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We didn't cut or splice any wires we just put the resistor between the two pins right at the connector for the ignition switch....we pulled the B/W and O/R pins and just put the resistor between the two...we did not plug them back in to the connector though we just used the resistor to tie those two wires together....the tail light and blinkers all work as well only thing blown was the headlights

·
Super Moderator
8,161 Posts
Make sure the bike is in neutral, Run/Stop switch set to Run, sidestand down. Then test the anti-theft again.

Second check, make sure O/W at the ignitor is 12v.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting 12 volts at the o/w wire but I am getting 0 volts for the anti theft and I'm getting 100olms....when testing the kickstand sensor it doesn't seem to be working it's not olming out but I jumped the connector and still nothing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting 100 olms at the ignitor connector on the O/R and B/W wires but I am not seeing the 5volts at the R/Y wire....would that voltage be distributed prior to the CDI box or after the 12 volts are supplied to the CDI box?

·
Super Moderator
8,161 Posts
I'm getting 100 olms at the ignitor connector on the O/R and B/W wires...
Do you mean O/Y to B/W at the ignition (not ignitor) connector? Those are the colors coming from the ignition switch for anit-theft. Is so that is good. It means the 100 ohm resistor inside the ignition switch is ok. It would be odd to have a blown 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch and also a bad ignitor at the same time.

... I am not seeing the 5volts at the R/Y wire....
Forget R/Y, that is a signal form the gear position sensor, it will not cause spark to fail. Maybe you are testing the wrong wire for the anti-theft voltage? Should be probing O/R. Also, when probing O/R all connectors must be mated. Back-probe the connector or pierce the insulation with a sharp test probe to make contact.

... I am not seeing the 5volts at the R/Y wire....would that voltage be distributed prior to the CDI box or after the 12 volts are supplied to the CDI box?
The "CDI" ignitor box must have 12v power on O/W (ignitor main power) and solid ground to B/W (ignitor ground) for any voltage tests to be valid.

Most likely the ignitor is fried but you are wise checking all other possibilities before replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have any suggestions on where to order one? Once I get it I will post the results...seems like a lot of people don't post results once they get help to figure out issues

·
Super Moderator
8,161 Posts
Try Mad8vCycles

Excellent seller, he is an active member here on SVR also.

Good luck and thanks for posting your results when you find out about the ignitor. Yes, too bad more folks do not post follow-ups.

·
Super Moderator
8,171 Posts
Try Mad8vCycles

Excellent seller, he is an active member here on SVR also.

Good luck and thanks for posting your results when you find out about the ignitor. Yes, too bad more folks do not post follow-ups.
thanks for the shoutout TeeRiver!
yeah, Briansymsg if you need anything reach out. here, fb, email, whatever always happy to help

·
Super Moderator
8,171 Posts
I haven't had the money yet to purchase the new ignitor you have any in stock? If so when I do order it will be through you
ive got one with a broken tab (will still mount fine with a ziptie or the other tab) that I could do a lot cheaper... i'll try to remember to list it on the site tomororw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive got one with a broken tab (will still mount fine with a ziptie or the other tab) that I could do a lot cheaper... i'll try to remember to list it on the site tomororw
I'm ok with a zip tie I use them as a belt sometimes the woman hates it haha

·
Super Moderator
8,171 Posts
flywheel
pickup (next to stator)
cdi
antitheft circuit (100ohm resistance on the ignition)
harness

that's about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts