Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked at the google spreadsheet that has been going around which compares shocks and what you can swap into a 2nd gen. Well there are bunch of threads about the 04 GSXR1000 shock installation but none for an 02 GSXR1000 shock. It surprises me because the specs on the 02 are about the exact same as the stock shock as far as length and lbs/in but now you can have the adjustment you want without having to hike the rear up a ton with other shocks out there.

Not a full step by step installation thread but some pics for those who need them and to see how it fits and what cuts I had to make to the battery box from different angles so you'll know what you would have to do.

2002 GSXR 1000 rear shock with 2000 miles on it:

Stock shock out, this is a comparison to the 02 GSXR1000 shock (black and red), an 06 Ninja ZX6R/636 rear shock (bought this and didnt use it because everyone stated that it was too stiff for my weight)

Initial fitment in there and it wont go all the way up to the upper bolt hole since the battery box is in the way

Had to use a dremmel, I cleaned it up a bit as the dremmel made some melting of the plastic, this is before cleaning it up so show the cut from inside the battery box:

below the battery box:

next to the battery box:

Overall its about the same height as the stock shock, so if you are like me, lightweight and short legs and arent looking to raise the back end up a ton to where yours hiked up like a gsxr, then this shock will give you about as even of a ride height swap as compared to stock.

Adjusted it as well as we could initially but I will tweek it more along the way as I know what more I want as far as settings. But it rides smoothly over bumps and much better than the stock shock, a lot less bouncy! Seat came back down fine, there is a gray foam that is stuck to the bottom of the seat and presses atop the battery and it still goes on fine, no smaller battery was needed, everything works fine!

So you guys can judge compared to yourself, I am lightweight 140lbs, maybe 150lbs with gear on and 5 foot 9 inches tall. So if you are lightweight you may want to consider this shock. As I mentioned the 06 Ninja ZX6R/636 shock I bought above (gold one) has a springload of 543lbs/in and me being 140lbs is too light. People have mentioned it is best for 200lbs+ riders or else I'd be riding what they called a "SV hardtail" and bucking all over the place.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry as well for the dirtyness and mud. The previous owner took this thing through the mud or offroading as there is mud/dirt caged all under different areas. After the riding season I plan to give it a nice spray down and underbath to get everything clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you ever consider just re-spring the 636 shock? almost looks like the gsxr spring would fit. you ran this one yet to see how it compares?

I got a zx14 shock with 0 miles for cheap, and my 155lb ass is too light for it, but i got a racetech spring on the way. i'll see how it runs and post up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm pushing 250 in full gear. That 636 might be just about right for mine. PM me what you'd need to have for it.

Matt

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gsxr1000 shock we put it is at 430lbs/in same as stock and I think the stock spring is set for a 140 to 150lb rider so its perfect for me. Works great, could be a tad taller maybe its just me. Ill pm you on the 636 shock tomorrow and let you know. Gorgeous shock!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sold the Ninja ZX6R/636 rear shock to Notalentbum. Wished I could have used it for the bike as I actually really liked the gold color and thought it would have been awesome looking on the bike! But 543lbs/in would have been too much for my weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im about to install an 02 gsxr 1000 shock on my sv and have a few questions for you. When you installed it, did you have to put any spacers for either the top or bottom eyelet to ensure there is no side to side play of the shock? How close was the fitment of the spring dia to the swing arm and exhaust header?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im about to install an 02 gsxr 1000 shock on my sv and have a few questions for you. When you installed it, did you have to put any spacers for either the top or bottom eyelet to ensure there is no side to side play of the shock? How close was the fitment of the spring dia to the swing arm and exhaust header?
no spacers were needed at all. It slid right in. We only had to dremmel out the corner of the battery box. There have been no issues with the header or swingarm, it fits just perfectly minus cutting the battery box :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm similar weight, so just ordered one of these.

How much preload are you using with the new shock?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm similar weight, so just ordered one of these.

How much preload are you using with the new shock?
I am not sure on the exact settings. I sat on teh bike and did the bouncing n all that while a buddy adjusted the different settings. He was doing it by adjusting the sag. So as to what the actual settings are I am unsure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Just followed this mod. Great info. Did you replace the stock battery with something different? I am trying to weed through all the different threads on the various short battery options and wondered what you went with.
Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,
Just followed this mod. Great info. Did you replace the stock battery with something different? I am trying to weed through all the different threads on the various short battery options and wondered what you went with.
Thanks.
I just went through this on my '08 and had to buy a smaller battery. I bought the Shorai LFX, a bit pricey, but it is soooo much lighter than the stock battery, and nothing but good reviews. I'm very satisfied with mine so far. Regardless of what brand you get, make sure it has enough cold cranking amps to start your bike. I believe the stock one is about 180 amps.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
Thanks.
sorry for some reason this site no longer sends me emails that someone replied!

Anyways, I did not go with a smaller battery, you could however do so, but I did not need to. I have the stock gel seat and it sits just barely under that (actually is mashed the rubber foam stuck on things almost completely flat. But no battery replacement was needed for mine.

If and when my battery eventually runs out and dies I will go with a smaller one but while mine still starts like new I won't be replacing until that time comes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts