Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 01 SVS which seems to be in good condition however, the engine dies often if left to idle in neutral. It even died while I coasted to a stop with the clutch pulled in and no throttle. The seller rarely rode the bike. Is it possible the gas is bad? There's a new spark plug installed as far as I know.

Any suggestions? Do I need to take it in for service?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It settle down to 1500 rpm to idle. It'll stay there for a minute or so and then just dies. To keep it running I need to give it a little gas at all times. I ran the old gas down to the point where the fuel light started blinking and filled it up with 87 octane. Any ideas? Perhaps adding a splash of stp? If it need service I'm definite willing to take it in.

Ridesyeti

·
Registered
628 Posts
Is the idle rough and inconsistent? Your idle should be closer to 1300 (or something like that, look it up in your manual).

I'm certainly no expert, but I would try running some Seafoam through to help clear out anything that might be gunking up your carbs. Does the bike run fine when you're on the throttle?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes, the service manual says RPM should be at 1200 (+/-) 100 RPM. 1500RPM should be just fine. I would get it out on the highway and clear everything out. If that doesnt do it then maybe tear apart the carbs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike seems to run fine as long as I'm on the throttle. We don't want me taking the engine apart. At least not until I learn some more. Sounds like I should send some additive through and if that doesn't work, take it in. This is making learning to ride a bit more challenging but I guess I may come out of this with some additional skills due to the attention it requires.

Ridesyeti

·
Registered
63 Posts
A new sparkplug? Usually we replace those all at once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts