Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried to avoid creating a post and I've been reading as many existing threads as I could but I am still a bit stuck. If I missed a thread explaining this issue please link it so I can follow along there.

I recently purchased a used '01 SV650S. Its been a blast so far but I recently ran into some odd issues.I was riding along and stopped to take some pictures. After which my bike wouldn't start back up. All I was getting was a click from the starter relay. Eventually I was able to rolling start it and got home. The next day I went to test it out again and it started up just fine. I let it run for 2 mins then shut it off and tried to start it up again but it just clicked again. This time I couldn't roll start it, but I was also on flat ground this time and at my house so my motivation to propel the bike was low lol. I went and charged the battery to check if that was the issue as well.
Today I put the fully charged battery in and started up again just fine, but again after cutting it off I was unable to start it up again. I measured the battery voltage when the bike on but not running to be ~12.3V. I then tried shorting the relay to see if that was the issue and nada. Next I measure the voltage directly at the starter motor and was seeing ~11.98V at the starter motor when I tried to start the bike up but nothing would happen.
My initial thought are that it is something with the starter motor that for some reason it doesn't want to turn when warm???
I am going to get a multimeter that can measure current and then check the current draw on the starter motor to see that as well. I am wondering if anyone knows what other issues this might be or can verify this is a starter motor issue. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Does the bike start/crank normally if you can safely short the Starter Relay connections with something heavy duty/metal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesn’t. I tried the short with a jumper made from some 14 gauge wire as well as a old screwdriver. The screwdriver at least sparked. The relay seemed to be working tho since I was able to get voltage at the starter motor.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If it doesn't turn when shorting the relay then suspect the relay as well as the Starter motor. The relays are not expensive off eBay.

Take the Starter motor off and service it and make sure the mating surfaces between the Starter motor and the Crankcase are bare metal e.g no paint or grease. This area is the main HT current return ground path and is very important.

This is from my old forum but the principles are the same,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I'm a bit late posting this but turns out it was the starter motor. The brushes had disintegrated from use. Got a repair kit from ebay and 30 mins later it was up and running like a charm. Just cleaned the motor out and the installed new seals and brushes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Update: I'm a bit late posting this but turns out it was the starter motor. The brushes had disintegrated from use. Got a repair kit from ebay and 30 mins later it was up and running like a charm. Just cleaned the motor out and the installed new seals and brushes.
Great news. Starter motors are not hard to service but often get overlooked :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts