Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I plan on having the SV down for the winter and ride my old trusty 86 radian while I do some work on the SV. My question is while I have it torn apart, what mods would I most benefit from doing?

I already plan on doing the R/R swap because I have had issues with charging the battery, but past that I'm not sure what else to do. I have to get new plastics since the P.O. laid it down which is why I am tearing it apart to begin with.

Just from looking at the stickies I see there is a suspension mod and a few of my buddies keep telling me to buy a power commander for it. I figured I would come to the experts and ask and start buying the parts before winter arrives :) Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Since you have an 01, tell your buddies that the Power Commander won't work with your carbs.

I'd suggest doing: (assuming the regular consumables are ok- Tires, Chain, Sprockets)
1) Motosliders frame sliders
2) Suspension- Springs/emulators + oil for the front and a 636 shock for the rear (depending on your weight)
3) Fresh brakes- SS lines plus some good pads, fresh fluid
4) Rejet - You don't have to buy an expensive jet kit, you can get away with a cheaper rejet (see the FAQ section or the tips&tricks found from the main page)

And yes, plan on doing a different R/R.

·
Registered
421 Posts
New style K&N filter, pipe of your choice, cam swap, valve adjustment, rejet, GSXR front fork swap, 636 rear shock, braided ss lines. All good reliable mods that come to mind.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I had no idea the power commanders were for FI only. (Ive only ever had carb bikes so thats good to know).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought an '02 for a track bike and did the following mods:
Bike came with a full Yosh system - great sound
Traxxion Dynamics emulator kit for forks with new seals & bushings.
Zx 6R (07-08) shock from ebay - have to modify battery box.
Set suspension sag - big improvement
SS brake lines with EBC HH pads
cleaned carbs, replaced o rings and synched
Ivans jet kit - ivansperformanceproducts.com/sv650.htm

tried other jets and this worked the best for me

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I am going to do, springs and emulators for the forks and penske rear, all from twfracing. Already bought the r/r, I just have to buy the parts for the clean wire up. I also found some replacement plastics so I will be getting some frame sliders.

Thanks again for every ones input, this my first bike project so I can use all the help I can get :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts