Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i have been asked by a friend to get his sv running.
the bike sat for about 8 months without being winterized. over the winter we had a storm roll through and the bike fell on its right side, and most likely sat like that fora few days.

Fastforward to beginning of summer - we puled the bike out and attempted. to start it, with no avil. i replaced the battery and checked the plugs (the rear plug was oil fouled) and the bike still doesn't want to start.

the bike does crank but i believe its got a fuel issue. and i assume trying to start the bike with the old fuel was a bad idea...
is it to late to add seafoam to.the tank? or shouls my next step be draining the tank of old fueland cleaning the carbs?

Tyia, Adam

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The only fuel filter is actually inside of the tank.
If you remove the fuel petcock (vacuum-actuated, bolted to the underside of the tank w/ 2 screws) you'll see a screen filter that is the only fuel filter from the factory.
These can get clogged in the tank.
Be careful when cleaning/inspecting this filter as they can tear and they're not a replaceable part, they're a component of the petcock assembly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've been too busy to play with the bike till today...

Bike still cranks, but not getting her to fire.

So far I have...

Replaced spark plugs (one was fouled with oil)
Drained old fuel and replaced with new 87.
Pulled both spark plugs and visually tested for spark - Both cylinders have spark.
Brand new battery, has been sitting on a trickle charger as of recent.
Pulled the carbs (have never cleaned carbs before, watched a video online for a better idea... and gave it a shot.) I soaked both jets in throttle body cleaner for a half hour, blew them out, ensured they were not gunked up and checked the small filter on the bottom of the float needles. I also ensured the slides moved correctly and the diaphragm wasn't ripped or punctured.
The carbs seemed very clean (to me) no evidence of deterioration of the diaphragms or gaskets.
-Oh and I did check the fuel petcock filter, and this too looked clean.

Anyways, after reassembly and attempting to start her up once again... here I stand, reaching out to the SV god's once again ;)

Simplified version:
The bike is cranking repeatedly but not making combustion , I can attest to having spark to the plugs and good battery voltage, along with a clean air filter. -Tips, ideas, things I've missed welcome!

-Adam

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've read threads before where they verified that a fueling problem was at fault when a bike with your description had some sort of starting fluid sprayed into the carbs and it would start and run briefly. I've never tried it but sounds like a way to verify the bike is capable of running.

Then you could trouble-shoot the fuel line making sure that fuel flows from the petcock when vacuum is applied, and then that the fuel pump pumps gas as the engine cranks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, choke has no affect on the condition. I did not try spraying starting fluid in the carbs, but ill give it a go and check the fuel flow, thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, choke has no affect on the condition. I did not try spraying starting fluid in the carbs, but ill give it a go and check the fuel flow, thank you!
This method does work. When my 2001 SV650 wouldn't run correctly we sprayed starting fluid straight into the carbs and after several turn overs it would start up. You can keep it going by spraying more starter fluid as it runs. I had an issue where my bike wouldn't start either. Have you checked the idle circuit screws located at the bottom of the carbs? If they have become clogged it can definitely keep your bike from starting. Ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't check the idle circuit screws. if i have to pull the carbs back off again ill be sure to check that. would the idle screw give the effect of no starting? The bike doesn't even sputter or anything, just cranks life a gem ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't check the idle circuit screws. if i have to pull the carbs back off again ill be sure to check that. would the idle screw give the effect of no starting? The bike doesn't even sputter or anything, just cranks life a gem ;)
In my case it did keep the bike from starting. We dumped a ton of carb cleaner into the carbs and it eventually started up, but then we had a week of it running shakily and any throttle would have caused the bike to stall out. It's worth checking in my opinion and if anything opening the idle circuit screws to allow the bike to run better and not as lean. Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I traced fuel flow, pulled the vacuum and fuel line from the petcock, no fuel came out, replaced the vacuum line and tried again, no fuel came out...

I decided to drain the fuel and pull the petcock back out to examine its filter. filter checked out, so i removed the four screws holding the spring and 'piston' inside. the piston is frozen, no movement what so ever. I believe my problem lies in the petcock assembly (looking into replacing.)

Assuming this is my problem, i forced the cylinder out of its housing and found a good ammoun what appeared to be sand, along with some corrosion inside the housing and around the piston.

Anyone seen this problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds about right for the age of the bike.

Mine is a 1999/2000 model and I found the filter on the top of the petcock assembly ( the only thing keeping the rust in the tank from clogging the carbs ) had crumbled to dust; your bike probably has rust in the tank as well. I replaced the entire petcock assembly for piece of mind, but I'm sure some have repaired at least the fuel delivery problem and added an inline fuel filter. Check your tank for rust and resurface it with a product like POR-15 if needed to keep those carbs fresh after you rebuild them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the tank is clear of rust, looking into ordering a new petcock assembly, and i'll also replace the vacuum line too it as well. (slight bit of deterioration)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it running, and verified that the petcock is at fault.

I removed the 'piston' inside the petcock, and bolted it back together with the gaskets and such. Pulled the vacuum line and plugged it with my finger, cranked it over and she fired right up. petcocks in the mail - should be fixed by monday.
Thanks for the tips everyone,
-Adam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.