Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Just bought a 2001 SV650S, with approx 50K KMS on it.
When i bought the previous owner told me it hasnt been ridden in a year and was barely ridden the year before that. It starts up pretty easy and runs decent (backfires once in a while due to what it think is tune-up and dirty carbs) but also when idling the oil light comes on. As soon as you bump the RPMS up even just a bit the light goes out. Wondering if there is anything common on these bikes or any ideas where to start looking. Any tips will be appreciated
THanks!!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
could be a few things, idle is too low, not so good oil pressure sensor or worse case, oil pressure is low due to worn bearings, more than likely one of the first 2

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Does it still have the three year old oil in it? First thing would be to change it to a known good quality oil of the proper viscosity. Make sure the idle is set properly and then see what is what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing i did was oil change... Oil that came out looked brand new. I need to clean the carbs and do a valve adjustment, once i do that ill get the idle set up and check it out again.. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
remember to sync the carbs as well (after cleaning & valve adjustment)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do, Gonna have a dealer do the sync as I dont have the gauges. Hopefully nothing major with oil problem.. Thanks again for advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts