Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 SV650, I picked it up used in December of last year. I changed the oil/filter, replaced the spark plugs, put a new air filter on (the old one was very dirty and covered in oil) very recently. I have been riding it just fine until a couple weeks ago, It just begins losing power and dies while riding it. It seems to happen in any gear/speed but most of the time it's around 50-60mph in 5th gear.

Any ideas what's going on? I replaced the fuel petcock and filter too because I took it off and the filter looked a bit "crusty." The battery is good as well.

The only mod I did before this happened was installing a LED headlight, which I don't think is related to this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Currently my to-do list is:
  • Check coil resistance
  • Check wires to ignition
  • Clean carbs/ possibly replace float valves

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
I'd concentrate on a fuel-delivery issue. Tank venting problems can cause fuel starvation. The check is to pop the filler open when it quits and listen for air rushing in - indicating a lack venting and a vacuum in the tank.

Other possible causes could be junk in the tank clogging the petcock pick-up screens.

I don't recall exactly how the SVs petcock is designed, but it should have a vacuum control to start/stop fuel flow. If that's not working or the vacuum line is pinched/damaged it could restrict or stop flow.

Carbs could be the issue, but it seems more like a general fuel flow issue than something like a plugged jet, which would drop one cylinder in a specific RPM range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd concentrate on a fuel-delivery issue. Tank venting problems can cause fuel starvation. The check is to pop the filler open when it quits and listen for air rushing in - indicating a lack venting and a vacuum in the tank.

Other possible causes could be junk in the tank clogging the petcock pick-up screens.

I don't recall exactly how the SVs petcock is designed, but it should have a vacuum control to start/stop fuel flow. If that's not working or the vacuum line is pinched/damaged it could restrict or stop flow.

Carbs could be the issue, but it seems more like a general fuel flow issue than something like a plugged jet, which would drop one cylinder in a specific RPM range.
Thank you for your reply. I just went for a ride until it died on me (literally 2 minutes) and immediately pulled over and opened the gas tank, no rush of air as far as I could tell. I’m still going to check the vacuum line to make sure though.

Assuming that line is clean, what would be my next step?

I previously drained the gas tank and replaced the petcock/fuel filter just to be sure that wasn’t the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also just found this thread that sounds almost identical to my issue. Sounds like i need to check the vacuum line further for sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Which one is the vacuum line? I tried looking that up to no avail. I’m sure it would be obvious if I had more engine knowledge.
The vacuum line is the smaller one on the bottom of the petcock. It should run to the back carb. I just went through rebuilding the petcock on my gen 1.

If you disconnect the vacuum line from the carb and the fuel line from the fuel pump on the frame, fuel should come out when you suck on the vacuum line and stop when you don't.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I recently saw a poster with similar problems and in that case it was a blocked/crapped out Fuel Petcock?

Also use the search function or a search engine using SV650 Choke Plunger as the subject because if they stick they can cause similar problems.

HTH :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts