Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

I've got an '01 with the 'euro style' projector dip beam headlight.
All well and good, but it is exceedingly dim. At night I cannot see the beam at all on a street with a moderate amount of lighting, and with no street lights the beam is very yellow and does an awful job.

I've got normal halogen H1 bulbs fitted (not the super white halogens), and no relay yet, the whole thing is stock.

I've noted a few people have done a 'euro style' conversion, and wanted to know whether anyone had the same experience.

HID is not an option for me, as aftermarket kits are not road legal in this country.

Other than a relay and some expensive halogens, any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I've done the euro headlight here in the states however I had an HID kit in it so I have no experience with using the standard bulb in it.
However, I don't remember mine ever being an H1.. for some reason I thought it was an H7 or something...

If you can't do HID, I'd highly recommend a relay and a decent halogen bulb (sylvania/osram nightvisions). The relay should make a difference regardless of the bulb you choose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can't do HID, I'd highly recommend a relay and a decent halogen bulb (sylvania/osram nightvisions). The relay should make a difference regardless of the bulb you choose.
I also have the projector euro lights that came like that from factory (I live in Spain) and the lights are quite bad AND aftermarket hid's are not exactly legal here. Night driving when its raining is simply dangerous :(

I am looking into a better bulb though. Excuse my ignorance but why or what id the function of adding a relay?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
An external relay will provide more power to the bulb by not going through the standard wiring system and powering the lights directly from the battery. You use the current wiring setup to control the relay instead of applying the power to the lights through the switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done the euro headlight here in the states however I had an HID kit in it so I have no experience with using the standard bulb in it.
However, I don't remember mine ever being an H1.. for some reason I thought it was an H7 or something...

Thanks, I think I'll do the relay as a matter of course, and get the Osram nightvisions. I had H4 versions in my GSX and they really were quite impressive.

I've never seen H1's in headlights either, but there you go.

HID isn't worth the trouble for me. It wouldn't pass it's bi-yearly test with them, and the police don't think much of them either. In addition every HID headlight needs to have a washer unit associated with it, so couldn't really tell tales about factory options...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have the projector euro lights that came like that from factory (I live in Spain) and the lights are quite bad AND aftermarket hid's are not exactly legal here. Night driving when its raining is simply dangerous :(

I am looking into a better bulb though. Excuse my ignorance but why or what id the function of adding a relay?
I'll take some photos and do a post of the difference with relay and Osram bulbs, let you know if it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I finally got busy on the bike today and added an external relay with some help from a friend. I bought some Philips blue vision H1 bulbs and the result is much much better than before. I should have taken before and after pics but I was lazy :rollingeyes:

The bulbs are more of a white than blue but for now its as good as it will get since hid's are not legal in Spain

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The light looks great.
It's too bad that the rest of the world (well, US/UK anyway) didn't get that nice projector headlight for the 1st gen S models.
I loved mine when I had it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts