Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my bike, but it doesn't run as nicely as I know it should:
I cannot start it without using the throttle.
When I turn the throttle as slow as possible RPM is steady until I hit 1500RPM, then it just goes straight to 3000.
Very rarely it will backfire.
When compared to my father's bike (exactly the same except not an S model), it has less power, runs rougher, and is harder to ride in lower RPM range.

Things I've done thus far:
Replaced spark plugs (CR8EIX Iridium).
Cleaned and rebuilt carburetors with K&L rebuild kits.
Direct-to-battery R/R mod using Shindengen FH008EB and parts from eastern beaver.
Checked valve clearances (don't remember the measurements, they were in spec, but barely). Timing looked fine when I was checking valves.
I consistently get around 50mpg, so I think the mixture is right (2.5 turns out).
The bike has at least 14000 miles on it.

Anyone have a really good idea of what the problem could be or some suggestions as to where to go from here?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
have ya synced the carbs

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have the equipment, do a compression test. If not take it somewhere and have them test the compression. Although unlikely, it's possible the valves aren't seating fully and need to be serviced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have synced the carbs.
Finally got around to doing a compression test this past weekend: 190psi rear 220psi front (throttle open); I'm thinking this could be my problem since my manual specifies 30psi max difference?

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Checked valve clearances (don't remember the measurements, they were in spec, but barely)
Doing a cranking compression test, the point of intake valve closure has a dramatic affect on the readings. Before worrying excessively, it would be good to adjust the valve clearances to make all valves as close to the same as possible. THEN you can tell something from your cranking compression test. More than likely you'll be within your 30 psi spec after valve adjustment. You also might be surprised to find the bike runs better afterwards too. Suggest you try to get the clearances toward the high side of spec as it is always better to be wider than tighter.

Your slow rev then suddenly jumping to 3000 is probably from the idle circuit being restricted and the engine jumps up when it starts feeding from the needle. A larger pilot jet would probably take this jump away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts