Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a lot of info out there but have only one question and not a lot of time to search the post history.

Question: What if any change will there be to rear ride height going with an 01 Gsxr600 rear shock vs. the stock rear height on the 04 SV650S? Will it raise, lower or be the same?

Thanks

Already have the 01 shock so my question is relevant to this particular year component.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It will be lower and softer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DucOwner said:
It will be lower and softer
Thanks - Do you know approx how much lower in mm's? Softer in a bad way as potentially bottom out like the stock?

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's 5mm shorter than the stock shock, and the spring rate is 325# compared to your stock 430# spring. So unless you weigh 85 lbs., you probably won't like the shock. We can revalve it, lengthen it, and respring it for your weight so that it works correctly and gives you mucho riding pleasure. Just give the shop a call at 402-408-4400 or e-mail [email protected].

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jarel - Hear many good things about svrace shop. My friend Bryce probably bugs you guys all the time. Here's the deal - It's the wife's bike but we share it and now plan to do some track days. She's a wee little one @ 100lbs and the stock suspension is fine for her. The problem is when I ride it. That being said she is also short @ 5'2" so raising the rear a bit is no good for her as she's already on the tippy toes. I was hoping that there's something that could be done rear shock wise that allows for at least similar height but gives more adjustments for my weight. I'm not so sure there is a compromise. I'm 160lbs. We got the gix shock practically for free and I wonder if anything can be done as described above. Any ideas?

jarelj said:
It's 5mm shorter than the stock shock, and the spring rate is 325# compared to your stock 430# spring.  So unless you weigh 85 lbs., you probably won't like the shock.  We can revalve it, lengthen it, and respring it for your weight so that it works correctly and gives you mucho riding pleasure.  Just give the shop a call at 402-408-4400 or e-mail [email protected].

·
Registered
505 Posts
ejl127 said:
Thanks Jarel - Hear many good things about svrace shop. My friend Bryce probably bugs you guys all the time. Here's the deal - It's the wife's bike but we share it and now plan to do some track days. She's a wee little one @ 100lbs and the stock suspension is fine for her. The problem is when I ride it. That being said she is also short @ 5'2" so raising the rear a bit is no good for her as she's already on the tippy toes. I was hoping that there's something that could be done rear shock wise that allows for at least similar height but gives more adjustments for my weight. I'm not so sure there is a compromise. I'm 160lbs. We got the gix shock practically for free and I wonder if anything can be done as described above. Any ideas? 
Wow, that's a tough one.... there's really no way to have it set up correctly for both of you, you either have to have it set up for one and have the other just live with it (too soft for you or too stiff for her), or set it up in the middle and have a little compromise on both sides. Guess you have to decide who's riding it the most, and which would be the most acceptable compromise. The adjustability of a GSX-R shock probably isn't going to do much for you if you're looking for that wide of a range of adjustment, it has a fairly limited range. That's why we always stress how important it is to have these shocks valved correctly for you, since the adjustability is limited. If you have it valved spot-on, you don't need a wide range of adjustment like a Penske would have. Problem obviously is you can't have it spot-on for two people with such a difference in weight. Send a PM to DucOwner, he may have some ideas on what the best compromise might be.

P.S. - and yes, Bryce is a pain in the $#%....... oh, just kidding Bryce! ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
That Guy said:
Jarel,
whats the most you guys can squeeze out of a 650 motor? 
Limited only by your wallet. 100+ HP for a built superbike motor is not uncommon for the serious Lightweight class racers. It's not cheap or reliable, it's to win races. Depends on the track you run too, some places that much top end power doesn't gain you much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts