Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my front fairings had some scratches from a drop after i hit a chunk of concrete that fell off the back of a dump truck (or so the cops/city claims). Anyway I decided to do a repaint that started with just the front side fairings and ended up with redoing the whole bike.
Keep in mind, I am did this in my garage and I am in college so it is only a rattle can job... but i think i did right by it. The only problem i have since experienced is not enough clear coat.

Here are the pictures of the painting and final product!
The whole gallery:
http://img527.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=20090421184436042120095.jpg

Few Select Pictures:

Notice the Black V or Triangle going down the front through the fender. When the wheel is straight it is perfectly lined up.

Doing construction where we normally meet on campus for our Tuesday rides...

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I painted it with high temp spray paint available pretty much any hardware store or even walmart. It can withstand 1600 degrees Fahrenheit (the 16K he referred to). I used many light coats and let each dry 10 min between sprays. I heated it up for about 10 min the first time, let it sit for a few hours to better cure, then let it idle for another 30 min before riding it for another 30. There is going to be a slight odor as the paint burns/hardens and turns from glossy to the color of a bbq pit. I forget the brand name i used, don't have the can anymore.

Oh and the LSU thing is a must!

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW! Thats really good for spray paint love the stripe that sets it off.I am also painting my svs.The guy I bought it off of.Droped it and cracked the farings along with some rash.I used Dupli Color auto lacquer spraypaint on my Katana and it looked cheap. No mater how much clear coat I put on it just could not get that thick sheen glossy color. So this time after fixing the scuffed and cracked fairing I went to PPG and tried to mach that nice blue that the 05 comes in. And after primer, paint, hardner and clear coat. It was like $248 so I was like scratch that went home sanded down the hole bike. With 600 grit and went to Auto Zone and came across these Paint Shop paints from Dupli Color they come thinned out already. And it was like $60 for every thing. So I got a Candy Apple Red its real deep it comes with a Candy coat primer,Today I just got the primer down. It is the nicest primer I ever sprayed it's a real thick glossy silver with metal flake in it. I will post some photos when i complete the job but needless to say leson learned. Don't try to mach a beautifull blue like that or any color for that matter.luckly I found a decent cheaper way out.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Looks nice, and with the tigers sticker it can't be beat!

That bike looks really familiar, did you buy it from a guy in the Zachary area rather recently?

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
Yeah but with a sticker he can change it to whatever he wants. He could do the same with paint but then he has to repaint instead of just pealing it off.
he's asking us what we think about his paint job and overall look of the bike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took a few days to sand everything down. Then i think i spent 3 days spraying everything. I am not 100% sure of the total time i took, i did all the sanding and painting in my free time between classes and work. You can see in the pictures, i was up at night doing most of the work.

As for being familiar... I bought it from its original owner in Oklahoma. And not recently. It was the stock blue when i got it. Although if you drive anywhere around LSU campus i am sure you may have seen it then, i drive it to class everyday. (parking next to class rather than a mile away in ceba lot FTW!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts