Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't afford a late model Gixxer front end and $250 to freight it to Australia... but i REALLY REALLY want a better front end.. The stock Goldvalved one just doesn't cut it... My fork tubes are very chipped and need replacing.. so.... looking... looking... looking... so... i bought a K3 GSXR600 upright front end.. the last fully adjustable upright Gixxer unit... $350USD with a guard inc freight from a local wrecker... Forks, clamps, axle & guard... I'm stocked... it'll be hear in a few days... A USD one would have been more than twice as much... it would have been over $1,000 plus fitting... Now I rode a 750F2 bike back in the day with these very front ends.. standard and they were amongst the best if not the best stock front end you could get... The 4 pot calipers i already have on my SV forks.. All the dimensions are almost identical... fitting 'should' be pretty straight forward... a 45mm fully adjustable front end.... Yes...Yes.. Yes... I'm happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Damn, those do look nice. Do the triples bolt up directly to the stock SV head or is there modification involved. Very interested in doing something like this if my revived SV needs fork work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, those do look nice. Do the triples bolt up directly to the stock SV head or is there modification involved. Very interested in doing something like this if my revived SV needs fork work.
Don't know yet... i'm expecting I'll have to press my stem out and have it fitted to the new headset... i'm hoping i'm not creating an expensive monster as I shouldn't be spending money I don't have on loopy projects...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i run k3 gsxr 1k on my sv. These are some awesome forks.
So you run this same f/e ?... How did you fit it up ?... What did you use for the stem/bearings etc ?... What fitting problems did you encounter ?... What year model your SV ?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On a 1st gen you'll need a new top bearing in a funny size, and steering stops

On a 2nd gen the GSXR triples bolt right up. I'd recommend replacing the bearings vs mixing parts from 2 different sets of used bearings.

You'll need a GSXR wheel and rotors. Since you don't have radial mount brakes, you're stuck with 320mm rotors. 01-05 GSXR600, 00-05 GSXR750, 01-04 GSXR1000, any SV1000 front wheel works. 01-03 GSXR600, 00-03 GSXR750, 01-02 GSXR1000 rotors work.

I wonder what it takes to mount Yamaha blue dot calipers, they're a significantly better caliper (this would be off an R1 prior to 04, an R6 prior to 05, an R6S, or plenty of other bikes). If making a caliper adapter it might also be possible to run a different size rotor. I'd set it up for a 310, and then use an 06/07 or 08/09 GSXR600/750 front wheel - they're lighter than the early wheels (and 08/09 is lighter than 06/07).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a 1st gen you'll need a new top bearing in a funny size, and steering stops

On a 2nd gen the GSXR triples bolt right up. I'd recommend replacing the bearings vs mixing parts from 2 different sets of used bearings.

You'll need a GSXR wheel and rotors. Since you don't have radial mount brakes, you're stuck with 320mm rotors. 01-05 GSXR600, 00-05 GSXR750, 01-04 GSXR1000, any SV1000 front wheel works. 01-03 GSXR600, 00-03 GSXR750, 01-02 GSXR1000 rotors work.

I wonder what it takes to mount Yamaha blue dot calipers, they're a significantly better caliper (this would be off an R1 prior to 04, an R6 prior to 05, an R6S, or plenty of other bikes). If making a caliper adapter it might also be possible to run a different size rotor. I'd set it up for a 310, and then use an 06/07 or 08/09 GSXR600/750 front wheel - they're lighter than the early wheels (and 08/09 is lighter than 06/07).
I already have the 4 pot K3 calipers on my SV forks . I really want to keep using my 3" wide 250 Across wheel .. it has 290mm RGV rotors which i also would like to keep... Or perhaps the K3 Gixxer 300mm rotors might fit my wheel... Dunno yet...
I'm sooooooo happy to hear the bottom clamp will slot straight in.. that will save me an awful lot of drama... I know that just using the 3.5" K3 rim with it's large 22mm axle would slot straight in... brakes would fit...

.... Just wait'n'see.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's getting close... couldn't use the Gixxer headset mainly because I want upright handlebars... speedo mount... so I'm using a 1250 Bandit headset and bored the 43mm clamps out to 45... SV stem pressed right in (Bandit one was too long)... 1250 Bandit 310mm offset rotors with 3.8mm spacers to line rotors up perfectly with the calipers.. machined up sleeves that pressed into the fork axle clamps to accept 17mm axle but I've just purchased an RGV250 hollow axle as the SV one weighs heaps... Last job, we have to press a plug into the lower caliper bolt hole as the Gixxer had 320mm rotors (now using 310's) so we'll press in a plug then redrill it so the caliper is 5mm closer to the fork...

Guard is at the paint shop...
When all the machining is done I'll disassemble the lot and have all the alloy components vapor blasted....

....... Getting there.....

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts