Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult would it be to change out my stock springs with some racetechs? I can get the tubes off the bike, but I'm lost when it comes to separating them. Have any of you guys done this?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It's done all the time by forum members. Your new springs should come w/ installation instructions but cutting the spacers, taking them apart etc. can be tricky. If you don't feel up to the job take it to a shop and get it installed. Should be about $150 or less to get them installed professionally.

Just make sure you double check all the bolts at the front if you do. I took mine in to get changed out and half of the lower triple wasn't tightened. I shudder to imagine what would have happened if I never had checked.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thats sketchy. I'm glad you checked. What do you mean by cutting the spacers/ what do the spacers do? thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info guys! billbillw, how would one know the right amount of oil to refill the fork tube with? Just meassure before you drain?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
how would one know the right amount of oil to refill the fork tube with? Just meassure before you drain?
you measure are you put them back together.
not to be an arse, but if you have the shop manual, it is totally easy.

I would use the link above as a reference and the book for the main part of your info.

oh, and i love you sig about the fart...... :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, a shop manuals on the list...
Don't buy, just download it for free.

There are several places, but this is the place where I found the most legible scans, and it has the S-model variations too. If you look, this page also has the owner's manual, which can be hard to find.
The page is in Hungarian, but the downloads are all English. Scroll down for the service manual for 99-02 SV650S. It is separated into 14 parts I think.

http://www.svmedia.hu/karbantartas.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just finished my race-tech's not 10 minutes ago, nervous at first but it was easy really. The hardest part was putting back on the calipers, and the next hardest part was the 2 inner screws on the fender

·
Registered
29 Posts
i did it last week,and i love it. i left the forks on the bike and just took the caps off, pulled the spacer out then the spring. the racetechs were shorter so i had to cut the spacer longer than stock. It comes with easy directions. You should have no problem. It look me maybe 15 mins.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Any recommendations for oil weight? I'm 6'3" ~210lbs.
I would ask that when you get the springs.
i was advised by sonic springs(rich) to use 20wt with my .85 kg springs, i'm 6ft and about 185 or so with gear. but i would see what the instructions say to use for your springs.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Any recommendations for oil weight? I'm 6'3" ~210lbs.
0.90 springs for normal riding, 0.95 if you're very aggressive and/or doing track days.

It's easy to change springs and oil, only trick for most guys is getting all the weight off the front end. A front end stand, the kind that lifts from under the steering head, is the best way but there are lots of other methods.

Here's a generic set of instructions, they'll give you an idea of what's involved:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/damper_rod_forks_tech_article.php

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rich, thanks for the great service and help. I installed my sonicsprings last night and it was alot easier than i thought it would be. It's going to be in the 80's here all weekend and it's time to ride!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Rich, thanks for the great service and help. I installed my sonicsprings last night and it was alot easier than i thought it would be. It's going to be in the 80's here all weekend and it's time to ride!
Cool, glad the install went well. It's nice here too, definitely got the itch. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't buy, just download it for free.

There are several places, but this is the place where I found the most legible scans, and it has the S-model variations too. If you look, this page also has the owner's manual, which can be hard to find.
The page is in Hungarian, but the downloads are all English. Scroll down for the service manual for 99-02 SV650S. It is separated into 14 parts I think.

http://www.svmedia.hu/karbantartas.htm

Thanks for the link. Got to brush up on my Hungarian???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts