Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I bought this bike not running as a project bike. After lots of reading and troubleshooting, I replaced the igniter a few days ago and it fired right up. i suspected the regulator was the underlying issue for it burning out in the first place, so today I tested it with the multimeter.

1) Ignition off -- battery read 12.94v. (Bought it new a month ago)
2.) Ignition on -- slight drop to 12.72v
3.) Idling -- massive 17.85v

Would test with the high beam at 5000rpm but I don't have a tach on the bike right now.

So from what I read, anything over 15v at idle starts melting stuff. And call me crazy, but after a few minutes of running the thing the first time i got it started, I swear I could smell faint electrical burning. So for the sake of my new igniter I probably need to get this issue remedied quickly.

I've read about the direct wiring mod and was considering it, but from the looks of the test, is my regulator already too far gone? Could it be something else causing the high voltage as well? I have other stuff to replace on this bike and want to get the voltage fixed as cheaply as I can so any input would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Bad regulator rectifier is likely. The wiring mod helps to boost the charging voltage, which you definitely don't need. You can read all about r/r's in the decosse wiring mod thread stickied in the 99-02 tech forum. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade it per the instructions in that thread, and do the wiring mod.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't ride it until you diagnose that R/R. The next thing to go is gonna be your stator which might have already sustained some damage from running that high of a voltage.
He is right. Double check your stator.

On a side note. The burning smell may have been dust from the bike sitting around for a while. If you want to make sure it runs good without the bike charging, just unplug the stator connector. Do not ride it far since the battery will not be charging, but you could do a few passes down the street.

What are your charging amps when the volts are 17v? You need to know both to properly troubleshoot the charging system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts